Cauliflower Rice Mujadara
Published Apr 19, 2018, Updated May 14, 2021
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Lightened up cauliflower rice mujadara made with low-carb cauliflower rice instead of regular rice and less oil. This dish is super easy to make and can be eaten as a side or a vegetarian main. It’s gluten-free, grain-free and vegan.
What is Mujadara?
Let me introduce you to the amazing Middle Eastern dish, mujadara. If you’ve never had it before it’s typically a combination of lentils, rice, caramelized onions which sounds fairly basic but it is soooo tasty! Isaac and I both love it. I think it has something to do with those caramelized onions.
Plus, the name is really fun to say!
I first had mujadara from a local Mediterranean deli. Our favorite spot was right next to Isaac’s old teaching job so he would grab lunch there often and would bring home leftover tabbouleh and mujadara. Let’s just say I wasn’t complaining about the leftovers.
How to make Mujadara with Cauliflower Rice
There are a million variations of mujadara, but it is traditionally loaded with oil and higher in carbs with both lentils and regular rice so I decided to lighten it up a little by using cauliflower rice and less oil! I always love when I can remake my favorite restaurant dishes at home, but if I can figure out how to make it a little healthier? Bonus points!
Note that you can make this recipe even quicker if you use Trader Joe’s pre-cooked lentils (found in the produce section). My local store has been out for a month but I just saw they’re back in stock! I may cry if they ever discontinue those bad boys.
More Middle Eastern Recipes
- Mediterranean Salmon Salad
- Easy Baked Falafel
- One Pan Za’atar Chicken Bake
- Hemp Heart Tabbouleh
- Sautéed Mediterranean Lentil Salad
- Creamy Hummus
If you try this cauliflower rice mujadara be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. I love seeing your feedback and it’s super helpful for other members of the EBF community as well.
Cauliflower Rice Mujadara
- 2 Tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced (use the slicing blade on your food processor, or a mandoline if you have one)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cauliflower rice
- 2 cups cooked green/brown lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Sea salt and pepper
- Plain Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Chopped fresh mint and parsley, for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the garlic and onions. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft and dark brown, about 20-30 minutes. Add cumin, cinnamon and season with a few liberal shakes of salt and pepper.
- Lower heat and add cauliflower rice to the skillet. Cook until cauliflower rice has soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir together cooked lentils, onions and cauliflower rice in a large dish. Serve warm (or at room temp).
- Top with a little yogurt, crushed red pepper flakes (if using), fresh mint and parsley.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.