This easy chia jam recipe is made with just strawberries and chia seeds and takes less than 15 minutes to whip up. It’s loaded with fiber and protein, but no added sugar!

As you all know, I’m hooked on chia seeds and try to include them in my breakfast regularly, and while it’s pretty easy to do (especially when having chia pudding, overnight oats or protein pancakes), but I’m always looking for new ways to incorporate them into my meals. Chia jam is the perfect way to add chia seeds to my breakfast routine because it’s so easy to whip up, keeps in the fridge for about a week, and it can be added to just about any breakfast recipe. I personally love stirring it into a bowl of Greek yogurt or adding it to my oatmeal.

Strawberry chia jam in a glass jar with a silver spoon on the right.

What is Chia Jam?

Chia jam is a fruit-based jam or jelly made by combining puréed fruit with nutrient-dense chia seeds. The chia seeds help the jam thicken up, without loads of sugar or thickeners like pectin, and it comes together in just 15 minutes. Amazing right?

I’m sharing how to make strawberry chia jam, but you can use any fruit that you like, fresh or frozen, to make chia jam. And it doesn’t have to be heated (y0u can simply mash fresh or thawed frozen fruit) but I’ve found that heating the fruit helps break it down and gives the jam a sweeter flavor.

Once the fruit has been mashed and is the consistency you like, just add in the chia seeds and lemon juice (just to brighten the flavor) and let the mixture sit for a few minutes to thicken up and cool. And that’s it… your chia jam is ready to be used any way you like.

Chia jam can be used the same way regular jam is used! I love using it for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, as a mix-in for oatmeal or yogurt or as a fruity spread on toast.

Overhead shot of strawberry chia jam in a glass jar.

Why is Chia Jam so Healthy?

Beyond the fact that this chia jam is way lower in sugar, there are some amazing health benefits of chia seeds as well!  Here’s a little reminder of why chia seeds are so healthy:

• Chia seeds are a good source of omega 3 fatty acids – Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids are essential fatty acids, meaning that you need to get from food sources because your body cannot produce them itself. Omega 3′s reduce inflammation and may help lower risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and arthritis. They’re also said to help with weight loss related to their regulation of blood sugar levels and insulin.
  • Chia seeds are a plant-based protein – We all know protein is an essential macronutrient needed for many functions in the body, including muscle building and it’s awesome to have plant-based options.
  • Chia seeds are loaded with antioxidants – Antioxidants help rid our body of free radicals, which have been linked to cancer and heart disease.
  • Chia seeds are a good source of fiber – The fiber content with weight loss by keeping you feeling full, prevents constipation and enhances regularity.
  • Chia seeds also contain magnesium and potassium – Two minerals essential for good health.

Close-up overhead shot of strawberry chia jam in a glass jar with fresh strawberries around the outside.

I had to make another batch for pictures, which worked out quite well because now I have some to put on my protein pancakes and greek yogurt this week!

If you try this strawberry chia jam recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and star rating below to let me know how it turns out! Your feedback is super helpful for the EBF team and other EBF followers.

clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon print print icon squares squares icon
strawberry chia jam in a small open jar sitting on a wooden cutting board and surrounded by a few strawberries and a silver spoon.

Easy Strawberry Chia Jam

• Author: Brittany Mullins
  • Prep Time: 5 minutes
  • Cook Time: 8 minutes
  • Total Time: 13 minutes
  • Yield: 4

Description

Homemade sugar-free strawberry jam made with chia seeds, which help it thicken up and add omega-3 fatty acids and fiber.

Ingredients

• 1 cup trimmed strawberries (frozen or fresh)
  • 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
  • stevia, maple syrup or honey (to taste)

Instructions

1. Add strawberries to a saucepan over medium-high heat and cook until the berries start to break down and the mixture is bubbling. You can use the back of a spoon or potato masher to mash the berries and create your desired consistency.
  2. Stir in the chia seeds and lemon juice. Then taste, and add sweetener if desired. If your berries are sweet you might not need to add any sweetener at all.
  3. Remove mixture from heat and let cool the mixture cool and thicken, about 5 to 10 minutes.
  4. You can use right away or let cool completely before transferring to sealed container and placing in chia jam in your refrigerator. The jam will keep for up to 1 week.

Notes

• I like my jam with texture from the fruit, but if you like your jam to have a smooth consistency, you can blend the mixture in a high-powered blender or use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
  • Category: Sauce
  • Method: Stovetop
  • Cuisine: American

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons
  • Calories: 30
  • Sugar: 2g
  • Fat: 1g
  • Carbohydrates: 5g
  • Fiber: 2g
  • Protein: 1g

Keywords: strawberry chia jam

More Chia Recipes:

This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

136 comments
    1. Liz
      August 7, 2020 AT 12:06 pm

I made this jam to go with the peanut butter & jelly overnight oats. OH MY GOODNESS, it is so good. I can’t believe I went this long without knowing how quickly I can whip up some healthy, no-sugar-added jam, packed with chia seeds. I did sprinkle in maybe 1/4 of a packet of Splenda, but it would have been amazing even without it.

I will be making this again and again!

1. Brittany Mullins
        August 7, 2020 AT 5:48 pm

Ahh yay! That makes me so happy to hear, Liz!! I’m so pumped you loved this recipe. Thanks for making it and for coming back to leave a comment + star rating. I really appreciate it. <3

2. Dianna
      June 10, 2016 AT 8:32 pm

Very anxious to try this recipe, but have a question. The recipe says 1 cup of strawberries. Do you measure the 1 cup after you mash them or just measure 1 cup of cut up berries, then mash them. I would think it would make a difference in the volume of the berries being used.

1. Brittany Mullins
        June 12, 2016 AT 4:36 pm

I measured them before mashing. Hope this helps!

3. Natalie R
      May 17, 2016 AT 9:43 am

Best accidental find on the internet today – I was looking for a jam to top my overnight oats and this gem showed up! Can’t wait to make this 🙂 Do you know how much this recipe makes?

1. Brittany Mullins
        May 17, 2016 AT 9:58 am

Yay! Glad you found this recipe. I haven’t had a chance to measure it, but I think it makes about 1/2 cup.

4. Kathrine
      March 3, 2015 AT 8:43 pm

I wonder… Could this be processed in a water bath to be shelf stable?

5. Kelly
      March 2, 2015 AT 9:38 am

I just made this with stevia. Delicious! Thanks

1. Brittany Mullins
        March 2, 2015 AT 10:46 am

Wonderful! So glad you liked it, Kelly.

6. Kate
      June 24, 2014 AT 6:32 pm

I wish I would’ve found your recipe first, as the other recipe called for 1\2 cup of water which is way more than yours. I hope it still sets. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Should I add more chia seeds? I will make your recipe from now on. Thank you!,

1. Brittany Mullins
        June 24, 2014 AT 9:36 pm

Hi Kate — Where did you see the 1/2 cup water listed?

I honestly don’t know how it will turn out with that much water. You could add more chia seeds but I think you’ll also need to add more berries if you want it to be proportional.

1. Kate
          June 24, 2014 AT 10:41 pm

Hi Brittany. The other recipe was from a different website. Thanks for your suggestion as it would be pretty runny. I look forward to making your recipe soon. Thanks for your help!

7. Gerry Noordegraaf
      May 23, 2014 AT 11:56 am

Sorry – I should have replied here – I did comment on this

8. Gerry Noordegraaf
      May 23, 2014 AT 11:55 am

I have tried to freeze it and it does work but it gets a little softer – something like a preserve. I wouldn’t add the water if I was freezing it or maybe a little more chia??

9. Beth
      May 22, 2014 AT 6:40 pm

Just wondering… can you freeze this jam??? Would love to make a number of batches to last throughout the year

10. Candy Bayless
      May 18, 2014 AT 4:45 pm

Can you make Jalepeno jelly with the chia seeds?

1. Brittany Mullins
        May 18, 2014 AT 5:12 pm

I haven’t tried, but you could certainly test it out! 🙂 Let me know if you do.

11. Cheree
      May 2, 2014 AT 3:57 pm

Have you ever heard of someone canning chia jam?

1. Brittany Mullins
        May 2, 2014 AT 4:56 pm

No, I haven’t.

12. Gerry Noordegraaf
      April 28, 2014 AT 1:32 pm

Would you be able to freeze this?

1. Brittany Mullins
        April 28, 2014 AT 2:16 pm

I think it would work, but to be completely honest I haven’t tried freezing it yet. Let me know if you try it!

13. Ulanah
      April 27, 2014 AT 11:24 am

Great idea! Re the texture: instead of buying ground chia, one can just put the seeds in with the berries/fruit and then use blender.

14. bobbie lancaster
      March 2, 2014 AT 6:54 pm

Have you tried home canning this recipe?
      I’d love to preserve enough of this to get us through the year.

15. Jeanna
      January 29, 2014 AT 12:25 pm

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the sweet potato butter will be cooked, so would I add the chia seeds during the cooking process, or stir them in at the end before I refrigerate it?

16. Jeanna
      January 29, 2014 AT 12:22 pm

Boy if you had a dollar for every time someone asked a question that you had already answered….. But my question is, how do you think the chia seeds would taste in sweet potato butter? The recipe I will be using also has apples, so the finished product will be similar to apple butter. It doesn’t really need to “gel” but the chia seeds wouldn’t make it set up too much would they? Thanks!

17. Tabitha
      January 28, 2014 AT 6:10 pm

Hi there!
      This recipe looks great!
      I was just wondering, when you add the chia seeds whole do they stay crunchy, and if so does it but you when you eat them? I’m thinking about making this for my granddad who is limited on eating sugar but also a fussy eater so I was just wondering whether the whole chia seeds are annoying?
      Thanks !

1. Eating Bird Food
        January 29, 2014 AT 1:43 pm

They don’t bother me. The chia seeds have a similar texture to strawberry seeds or blackberry seeds, which most people are used to when eating jam. Hope your granddad likes it! 🙂

2. Tabitha
        January 28, 2014 AT 6:12 pm

Sorry that was meant to say does it bother you when you eat them.

18. debbie
      January 18, 2014 AT 1:12 pm

this is a fantastic recipe for those trying to lose weight and still eat yummy foods. i made it for a second time, used 1 cup frozen thawed berries, and then pureed a few large fresh berries to add to the mix and makes it taste even fresher 🙂 i add one pkt of stevia for the sweetner, tastes almost like my moms full sugar freezer jam. Going to try it with raspberries next

1. Eating Bird Food
        January 18, 2014 AT 5:20 pm

Thanks so much for trying the recipe Debbie. I’m glad you’re enjoying it and experimenting with other fruits!

19. Janet Paula
      December 29, 2013 AT 6:00 pm

What are cosa seeds as stated in Venessa’s comment.

20. Janet Paula
      December 29, 2013 AT 6:00 pm

What are cosa seeds as stated in Venessa’s statement.

21. Venessa
      October 17, 2013 AT 4:09 pm

I put about 30 red grapes in my juicer and then added cosa seeds to it and it came out like grape jelly and it was fabulous!!!

1. Brittany Mullins
        October 18, 2013 AT 7:13 pm

That’s awesome! I haven’t tried it with grapes yet.

22. Kelly @ IdealistMom.com
      September 8, 2013 AT 11:14 pm

What a great idea for sneaking in a little extra protein and omega 3s! Pinning this now 🙂

23. Magic and Mayhem
      August 26, 2013 AT 8:21 pm

This looks delicious! Do you know if it could be used with apples? We have been harvesting apples from friends’ unsprayed trees all month and have so much apple sauce and apple pie filling already canned. I’d love to make some easy apple jelly with a bit of sweetener and cinnamon. I’m thinking I’d just chop and cook the apples somewhat and then add the chia??? If anybody knows, please let me know! 🙂

1. Brittany Mullins
        August 27, 2013 AT 10:34 pm

I’ve never tried it with apples so I’m not 100% sure but let me know if you try it. I think I might try a chia apple butter this fall.

Grab your Free 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan

Subscribe to our list and get your free printable PDF of the 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan and Shopping List!