You guys, I’m so pumped! My good friend and fellow blogger, Katie of Chocolate Covered Katie, recently released her first cookbook. Not only am I super excited for her, but I’m also thrilled because I get to share a recipe from the cookbook with you here on EBF today!
Katie is a creative genius and the queen of making delicious and satisfying treats that are filled with good-for-you ingredients. I’ve made several recipes from her blog over the years including her Deep Dish Chocolate Pie (OMG!) and the Healthy Cookie Dough Dip. Every recipe I’ve tried has been over the top delicious so I was incredibly excited to receive a copy of her cookbook and try some of the new recipes.
Despite the title of the book and Katie’s passion for chocolate, not all of the cookbook recipes involve chocolate. That said, I’m a chocolate lover so when thumbing through the pages
drooling looking over all the recipes I was immediately drawn to the Ultimate Unbaked Brownies.
Ooey gooey brownies with a fudgey frosting… count me in!
Once I saw that the recipe involved medjool dates (my fav!), only a few minutes of prep, and absolutely no baking I knew I HAD to make them.
Not only were they super easy to toss together but they’re ridiculously tasty — rich, decadent and chocolatey without any hint of being uber healthy. No one would ever guess that they’re gluten-free, vegan and raw!
I whipped up a batch the evening before we left for the beach wedding last week and took most of them with us to share, but I couldn’t resist putting a couple in the freezer to save. I’ve already had one since we’ve been home so I can attest to the fact that they freeze well and taste scrumptious straight from the freezer!
I wanted to get them posted today because I’m thinking they would make an awesome treat to make this weekend — for Easter or Passover. Sometimes it can be a challenge to find good Passover desserts but these babies are flourless and totally Passover-friendly! I’m actually thinking about making another batch for our Seder this Saturday.Print
A quick and easy recipe for those days when you just really need a brownie. They’re vegan, gluten-free and raw! Recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie, used with permission from Katie and Bookish.
- 2 1/2 cups loosely packed pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- Combine dates, walnuts, 6 Tbsp. cacao powder, 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 2 tsp. water and salt in a food processor . Process until completely smooth.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish, or line dish with parchment or waxed paper. Transfer dough to dish. Press dough very firmly into dish with your hands until dough is evenly distributed.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup cacao powder, remaining 1/2 tsp. vanilla, maple syrup and oil. Stir until mixture forms a paste (this is the frosting). Spread paste evenly over dough in baking dish. Refrigerate brownies for at least 2 hours to set, then cut into squares. Refrigerate any leftovers in a covered container for up to 2 weeks, or freeze for up to 2 months.
Katie and her publisher have allowed me to post the full recipe here on EBF, but if you want the nutrition facts you have to grab a copy of the book. And trust me, you’re going to want a copy anyhow — the book is filled with over 80 healthy and delicious recipes, each with a beautiful photo and nutrition facts (including ww points). I’ve already bookmarked about 20 to try! 🙂