Vegetarian Cauliflower Fried “Rice”
Published Jul 14, 2017, Updated May 14, 2021
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This vegetarian cauliflower fried “rice” has the texture and flavor you crave from traditional fried rice, but it’s loaded with veggies, high in fiber and low in carbs. Serve with your favorite protein for a nourishing, paleo-friendly meal.
If you’ve been following EBF for a while you’ll know that I’m a huge advocate of planning out your meals for the week as a way to stay on track with your healthy eating goals. (Get my meal planning tips and grab my free meal plan printable here!)
We love using Terra’s kitchen for a variety of reasons. Not only is it super convenient, but it gives us a basic meal plan for the week (without having to do anything except choose the meals) and saves me time both with grocery shopping and meal planning. It also ensures we cook at home more often than not. We usually order three full meals for the week and sometimes I’ll add on an extra protein option (usually shrimp or chicken) so that we can use it for a simple dinner recipe or as a protein option for lunches.
Add Shrimp for a More Protein
This dish is low in calories and carbs so I recommend pairing it with some sort of protein or serving it as a side dish. I really like adding shrimp, similar to my quinoa fried rice recipe. I simply cook the shrimp in a separate pan with al little oil, salt and pepper and serve it over the cauliflower fried rice for a full meal.
If you try this cauliflower fried rice recipe please be sure to leave a comment and star rating below letting us know how it turned out. Your feedback is super helpful for the EBF team and other EBF readers!
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 cups cauliflower florets*
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup fire roasted corn
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- sesame seeds and sriracha, for serving
- Add cauliflower to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until broken into rice-size pieces.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in 1 tablespoon avocado oil, onion, garlic and ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper. Stir while cooking for about 1 minute.
- Add cauliflower and salt to the wok and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Season with ground pepper, to taste. Remove to a bowl.
- Place the wok back over high heat and add 1 tablespoon avocado oil, sesame oil, broccoli, carrots and corn. Cook, stirring until broccoli is cooked through but still has a crunch, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add cauliflower rice back into the wok with the veggies. Add tamari and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds just before plating and serving.
- You can buy pre-chopped cauliflower rice if you don’t own a food processor. This also helps reduce clean up time.
- If you want to add a protein to this, I recommend adding shrimp. Simply cook the shrimp in a separate pan with al little oil, salt and pepper and serve it over the cauliflower fried rice for a full meal.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.