5-Ingredient Sweet Potato Curry
Published Apr 17, 2020, Updated Jul 24, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This sweet potato curry has amazing flavor and it comes together in less than 30 minutes, with just one pan and five pantry staple ingredients. Vegan + gluten-free. This post is sponsored by Kroger.
While a lot has shifted in my life over the past few weeks I can’t help but feel incredibly grateful. I’m grateful that my job allows me to work from home and grateful that I can be a resource for all of you during this time .
This is a super simple, five-ingredient, pantry staple recipe for chickpea sweet potato curry! I’m so excited about this recipe because it’s ridiculously delicious and you likely already have all of the ingredients you need in your pantry.
Here’s What You Need
- yellow onion
- sweet potato
- curry paste (red or green curry paste will work)
- coconut milk
- chickpeas – I used canned chickpeas for ease
Some optional ingredients that are nice to have:
- fresh garlic & ginger
- rice – any type works for this recipe. Use what you have!
One Pan Pantry Staple Curry
Yep, you read that correctly… this curry is a one pan meal and it comes together in less than 30 minutes, but tastes like it’s been cooking for much longer! For this recipe I stuck with basic, pantry staple ingredients you likely already have. That said, there are a few optional ingredients that I made a note of within the recipe. If you want to add a little more flavor and have access to fresh garlic and ginger, you can add 1 tablespoon of each (minced) while you’re cooking the onion.
More Pantry Staple Recipes You Might Enjoy
More Curry Recipes to Try
- Summer Vegetable Curry
- Coconut Curry SunButter Noodle Bowl
- Tofu Pumpkin Curry
- Thai Green Curry with Shrimp
- Easy Coconut Shrimp Curry
- Tuna Curry Bowl with Cauliflower Rice
- Coconut Curry Mussels with Zucchini Noodles
- Chicken Curry With Vegetables
5-Ingredient Sweet Potato Curry
- ½ Tablespoon avocado or coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons green or red curry paste, I used green curry paste from Thai Kitchen
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- ½ cup water, if needed
- optional: fresh chopped cilantro and fresh lime and rice, for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5-6 minutes or until fragrant. Add curry paste to the skillet, toss and sauté for another minute.
- Add sweet potatoes, chickpeas and coconut milk to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Allow the sauce to heat up until it is simmering and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender enough to be easily pierced with a fork. If the mixture gets too thick (or dry) you can add water to the pan, 1/4 cup at a time, up to 1/2 cup. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve curry over rice with cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
- If you have access to fresh ginger and garlic, feel free to add 1 Tablespoon (minced) of each to the skillet when you add the onion.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.