14 Tips for Getting (and Staying) Motivated to Eat Healthy

Tips and tricks from a health coach for how to get and stay motivated to eat healthy!

Wood table with fruit bow, water, and flowers. 'How to stay motivated to eat healthy' in text overlaying the image.

1. Set small, measurable goals that will help you get to your overall large goal. For instance – I will eat 5 servings of fruit and vegetables a day, incorporate leafy green veggies into 3 meals a day, drink at least 68 ounces of water daily, etc.
  2. Keep a food and exercise journal. This is extremely helpful to track how much you’re eating – sometimes you don’t realize how many small bites here and there add up. You can do a hand-written journal or go digital and log your food/fitness from the computer or your smartphone. MyFitnessPal is a great resource for this.
  3. Crowd processed junk food out of your diet by adding in nutritious whole foods.
  4. Skip the pantry and head to the fridge. No one really keeps a lot of processed foods in their fridge because they’re usually self-stable. When looking for an afternoon snack I tend to stick with something from the fridge (non-fat greek yogurt, fruit, veggies with hummus, edmamae, etc.)
  5. Try new foods. Eating steamed broccoli and baked tofu every night can get old. Look for new healthy recipes online, in cookbooks or magazines so you don’t get bored with eating healthy. I know a good place for recipes. 😉
  6. Enlist support from your friends and family. Whenever I realize I need to get back to my roots and clean up my eats the first person I tell is Isaac because he then knows not to offer me sips of beer and chips.
  7. Team up with a friend and hold each other accountable for eating healthy.
  8. Eat something every 2-3 hours. This keeps your metabolism running and also makes sure you don’t get ravenous and end up eating whatever is in sight when you get home from work.
  9. Keep nutritious foods on hand and ready to eat. Preparation is the key to eating healthy! Having fresh vegetables and fruits, lean protein, healthy fats and smart carbs each week is super helpful for staying on track. I like to make big batches of roasted veggies and brown rice or quinoa at the beginning of the week so I have healthy foods in the fridge ready to go for quick lunches.
  10. Keep tempting foods that trigger you to overeat out of the house. For me this is cereal, packaged trail mix, granola and other packaged foods. If the tempting foods are already in your house because someone else bought them, I’ve found that putting them away in a (high) cabinet is helpful. Out of sight, out of mind.
  11. Always bring a healthy snack with you when you leave the house for more than a couple hours. Apples, bananas, fruit and nut bars, homemade trail mix and carrots are super portable. And healthy bars like Larabar are always good in a pinch.
  12. Eat and enjoy your favorite foods in moderation. Deprivation tends to backfire so if you really want a treat, then eat and enjoy it.
  13. When going out to eat, look the at the menu for the restaurant online. Deciding beforehand what healthy option you’re going to get can be helpful so you’re not tempted by unhealthy options once you’re there.
  14. Don’t let one set-back keep you from working toward your goal. Don’t get down on yourself if you slip-up -just make sure your next meal is a healthy one!

Hopefully this little list helps give you some ideas on how to stay motivated to eat healthy. Like I said, everyone has off days and may not eat healthy ALL of the time, but it’s what you do 80-90% of the time that counts. Let me know in the comment section what tips you use to stay motivated to eat healthy. And if you liked this post, I will do another one with tips on how to stay motivated to workout!

This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

74 comments
    1. Levi Armstrong
      October 20, 2020 AT 11:02 am

I like that you said that one way I can start and stay motivated to keep a healthy diet is by having a food and exercise journal. It’s also great that you mentioned that I should not eat anymore processed junk food. Because of that, I’ll try to find a healthy food store nearby so I can do my groceries there instead of the supermarket. Thanks!

2. Carol
      October 5, 2020 AT 9:32 am

Hi I have been battling with food for a longtime. I am 60 yrs old and still battling with it. How can you help me?

3. functional medicine st louis mo
      September 30, 2020 AT 8:37 am

These are some great tips to help you eat healthy. It’s important we take good care of our bodies through good nutrition. Thanks for sharing.

4. Joseph & Mariah
      August 27, 2020 AT 9:07 pm

Great Tips Brittany! #6 – #11 are great for staying away from the unhealthy cravings.

5. Thomas Clarence
      June 15, 2020 AT 1:53 pm

I really like how you mentioned that deprivation can backfire on yourself when you are trying to eat more healthily. I would say that it would be a good idea to go to your favorite restaurant once in a while. That way you will be happier while you are trying to eat better foods.

6. Sharvari
      June 15, 2020 AT 6:19 am

Very nice article!
      One day I just gathered all unhealthy food items lying around in my kitchen and got rid of them. I ate pretty healthily for the next week!

7. Lyla Peterson
      June 12, 2020 AT 1:11 pm

I like the idea of heading to the fridge for a snack since it usually has healthier items like fruits and vegetables. My diet has been pretty bad ever since I started college a few years ago. I would like to create a nutrition plan and stock up on healthier foods so that they are accessible in my home.

8. Ivy Baker
      May 26, 2020 AT 7:19 pm

I want to try to eat better foods this summer. I have been having some stomach issues since the middle of April. So, I want to try eating more natural foods that are less processed. Thanks for explaining that I will want to think about getting some nutritious snacks like nuts and fruits.

9. Angela
      May 10, 2020 AT 4:28 pm

Eating habit tips is amazing and effective. This is grate post. Maintain the tips and keep the health. Thank you for the post.

10. Peggy Anne Rockey
      May 9, 2020 AT 3:26 pm

Hi Brittany,
      Great article!

I am also a Health Coach and Registered Nurse. Yes…its all about Lifestyle, Exercise, Attitude and Nutrition.
      —Lots of plants
      —Lean Proteins, like Wild Salmon
      —Good fats…avocado, nuts, seeds, clean oils.
      —Quality sleep
      —Lots of water
      —Move your body
      —Eliminate processed foods, especially sugar, and for some people who are sensitive, gluten and dairy.

Thank you for sharing.

11. Lyla Peterson
      February 19, 2020 AT 1:23 pm

That’s a good idea to keep nutritious foods more readily accessible and unhealthy foods out of sight. I have been thinking a lot about my diet and how my health and quality of life are affected by the things I eat. I would like to start incorporating better food into my life this year. Your tips will be helpful as I try to form better habits.

12. Berta Roberson
      February 8, 2020 AT 8:46 am

I want to start eating healthy want to get rid of diabetic in my body wan to live.Thanks for your info.

13. Henry Killingsworth
      January 8, 2020 AT 2:34 pm

I like that you mentioned that it is a good idea to track the amount of food you are eating when trying to have a better diet. My wife and I decided that it is time for us to be more aware of what we put in our body, but we don’t really know where to begin. I think it would be a good idea for us to hire a nutritionist that can help us come up with a meal plan.

14. Rhadames Tellez
      November 11, 2019 AT 8:21 am

There is nothing new in all these tips, and they all work great towards a healthy life style . However, we humans are affected by so many factors that it is very unrealistic to think that these tips will work for a long term.We all will be derailed by one thing or another at one point.

15. Darlene
      October 31, 2019 AT 4:45 pm

Thanks for the helpful tools❤️❤️

1. Brittany Mullins
        October 31, 2019 AT 10:21 pm

Of course! I’m so glad you enjoyed this post, Darlene. <3

16. Angela Waterford
      October 11, 2019 AT 3:55 pm

One of my cousins is curious about the concepts of gastropubs, so I thought about taking her to one. Thanks for the tip that I should eat and enjoy food instead of depriving myself of food so I will still lose weight. I think I’ll take her to a gastropub that she might like so that she can get to know what kind of foods these types of restaurants serve.

17. Penelope Smith
      September 13, 2019 AT 2:30 pm

This is some really good information about weight loss and how to eat healthy when you are staying motivated. It is good to know that it would be smart to think about getting healthy snacks. It might be smart to get some weight loss drinks as well. I want to lose weight but I really want to have something tasty to drink when I am on a diet.

18. Johnny McCarron
      July 9, 2019 AT 7:16 pm

I like your idea to team up with a friend and hold each other accountable for eating healthy. My wife and I are trying to adjust our lifestyles to take care of our bodies more. We’re trying to be accountable to each other, but we might get a third party involved to help out.

19. Alliyan
      June 10, 2019 AT 7:38 am

very good & unique article. thanks for sharing with us. keep up the good posting.

20. Ciera
      May 27, 2019 AT 1:39 pm

I kinda did the same thing . I wanna to start eating healthy and i ate something bad , and i just said ima have to start tomorrow or a new week. So I’m trying so hard to stay motivated. But the past year and last year was so easy for me to stay motivated, even when people would always offer me something that was unhealthy i would say no thank you. Basically I’ll work out every year, around January. But this January i skip working out and eating healthy. And i don’t know why it was so hard to start again.i just got in a relationship this September of 2018, and i basically gain all my weight back. I’m not over weight , but i did gain weight this year. I’m tryin lol.

21. James Canning
      April 3, 2019 AT 2:51 am

Hey Brittany,

I really like that all your tips are easy and doable. Maintaining food and exercise journal is the first I would try. Thank you.

22. Avneet Singh
      February 22, 2019 AT 8:47 am

Such an amazing article! Positive vibes only.

23. Shirley Drury
      November 2, 2018 AT 5:05 pm

I am going to give your tips a try because I need to do this part of me is in the right zone for losing weight its just getting the rest of me to get into this zone. Which im hopeing that i can because sometime next year im getting married and i want to be able to have a dress i really love but its a 10/12 and then if i do lose the weight ill be able to run around and play games at the park with the kids. Also i have been advised to lose weighr and get into shape and tone up by my gp because I have fibromyalgia and spondlitus IBS irritable leg syndrome depression and anxiety low vitamin d deficiency restless legs syndrome depression and anxiety and if i lose the weight it will help the pain and stop me thinking that people are talking about me

24. Healthy Living Programs Online
      October 29, 2018 AT 1:40 am

Great tips about how to get and stay motivated to eat healthy! Thanks for sharing these.

25. Living well therapy
      August 13, 2018 AT 8:08 am

Helpful tips. These kind of blogs helps people a lot in understanding how maintain a healthy schedule. Thanks for sharing!

Grab your Free 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan

Subscribe to our list and get your free printable PDF of the 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan and Shopping List!