Spaghetti Squash Taco Bake
Published Mar 04, 2020, Updated Jul 11, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This spaghetti squash taco bake combines low-carb spaghetti squash with ground turkey, taco seasoning, salsa and cheese for a delicious, healthy and easy dinner.
I have been dying to share this recipe with you ever since I created it! It’s such a fun weeknight dinner idea that is packed with veggies and protein. If you need a new meal train idea, add this to your list! This is sure to be a favorite with kids and adults alike.
Here’s What You Need
- vegetables – spaghetti squash, yellow onion, garlic, fresh cilantro, jalapeño
- ground turkey – you can also make this taco bake vegetarian by using ground vegetarian meat crumbles in place of turkey
- black beans
- seasonings – taco seasoning, tomato paste, chili powder, salt and pepper
- shredded Mexican cheese
- toppings – green onions, avocado and plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
Simple Weeknight Dinner
This recipe is really quick and easy, especially if you roast your spaghetti squash as part of your weekly meal prep! I highly recommend using my spaghetti squash roasting technique where you chop the squash into rings. It makes for spaghetti squash that’s perfectly cooked, but not watery.
Once your squash is roasted (or at least in the oven) you can start cooking up the other ingredients.
Heat oil in a large sauté pan and add the garlic and onion. Cook until onion has softened and the mixture is fragrant. Add the ground turkey and taco seasoning to the pan and cook until turkey is cooked through. Add in the black beans, salsa, cilantro, tomato paste, jalapeño, chili powder, salt and pepper to the pan. Stir and cook until everything is well combined. Remove from heat.
Once the squash is done roasting, carefully remove the spaghetti strands from the peel and add the squash to the ground turkey mixture. Toss to combine and transfer to a baking dish. Top with cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture is warm throughout and the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and serve.
For this taco bake I recommend topping it with fresh cilantro, green onions, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream/Greek yogurt and jalapeño slices if you like a little spice.
This is a definitely a full meal on its own, but you can’t go wrong pairing it with a simple side salad tossed in my tomatillo avocado dressing. You could also make some additional sides like black bean dip or healthy guacamole with chips or this avocado corn salad.
More Mexican Inspired Dinners You Might Enjoy
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Mexican Quinoa Casserole
- Mexican Sweet Potato Chicken Soup
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
- Deconstructed Guacamole Salad
- Tofu Sofritas
- Vegan Burrito Bowl
More Spaghetti Squash Recipes
- 21 Spaghetti Squash Recipes
- Creamy Walnut Pasta Sauce
- Spaghetti Squash Baked Feta Pasta
- Spaghetti Squash Tuna Noodle Casserole Boats
- Spaghetti Squash Pizza Crust
Spaghetti Squash Taco Bake
- 1 spaghetti squash, roasted
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup salsa
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro + more for garnish
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon chopped jalapeño + more for garnish
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Toppings: green onions, avocado, plain Greek yogurt/sour cream, cilantro, jalapeño
- Roast spaghetti squash. (Instructions for how to cook spaghetti squash can be found here.)
- While squash is roasting, heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 4-5 minutes. Add ground turkey and taco seasoning to the pan and cook, breaking meat apart with your spatula. Once turkey is cooked through and no longer pink, add black beans, salsa, cilantro, tomato paste, jalapeño, chili powder, pepper and sea salt to the pan. Stir until combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- One squash is roasted and cool enough to touch, remove spaghetti strands from the peel and add the squash to the pan with ground turkey mixture. Toss to combine then transfer to a 8×8 or 9×9 square baking dish. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 375°F, or until spaghetti squash bake is warm throughout and cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro, jalapeño, green onions, chopped tomatoes, avocado and/or sour cream.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.