Simple chocolate coconut macaroons that you can whip up in under 30 minutes. The perfect coconut treat for Passover or Easter. Vegan and gluten-free.
You may or may not have already tried my recipe for healthy coconut macaroons… now I’ve got a chocolate version for all of you chocolate lovers! The only additional ingredient is cocoa powder so you could easily make half regular coconut and half chocolate to please everyone.
When brainstorming recipes for this time of year, my mind immediately went to treats. Between Passover, Easter and Girl Scout cookie season, the house always seems to have treats in it. So I figured why not make them upgraded, healthier treats!
These macaroons are made with 7 simple ingredients – 8 if you want to drizzle them with chocolate! (Why wouldn’t you?!)
What Type of Coconut to Use
One BIG tip for this recipe is to make sure you buy the right kind of shredded coconut. I strongly recommend using unsweetened fine or desiccated coconut. I’ve found a couple of brands that I love – Let’s Do Organic (you can find this at most grocery stores, on Amazon and at Target) or the Bob’s Red Mill fine shredded coconut. If you use longer shreds, the macaroons won’t hold together and they’ll just spread out on the pan into a huge macaroon pizza… which doesn’t sound like the worst thing in the world, but I digress!
The rest of the ingredients are fairly straight forward – almond flour, maple syrup, coconut oil, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt! Your pantry might already be stocked with most of these. I always thought macaroons were hard and time consuming to make but they’re actually quite simple! Stir together all of the ingredients and then use a cookie scoop to scoop perfectly portioned balls onto a cookie sheet. Bake and then let them cool until you drizzle or dip in chocolate. That’s it!
If you make these chocolate coconut macaroons, be sure to leave a comment and star rating letting me know how they turned out! Your feedback is so helpful for the EBF team and other EBF readers.Print
Simple chocolate coconut macaroons that you can whip up in under 30 minutes. The perfect recipe for a Passover or Easter treat. Vegan and gluten-free.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Stir together coconut, almond flour, maple syrup, coconut oil, cocoa powder, vanilla and sea salt in a medium sized bowl.
- Use a Tablespoon or cookie scoop to scoop batter onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool — they will firm up as they cool so wait about 15 minutes or so before serving or dipping in chocolate.
- If adding melted chocolate, add chips to a microwave safe bowl and heat for about 30 seconds and stir. If chips aren’t melted, heat for another 10 seconds or so. If the chocolate seems too thick after melting you can add a teaspoon of melted coconut oil to thin it out. Drizzle chocolate over each macaroon. Place macaroons in the fridge/freezer for 5-10 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden. Store any leftover macaroons in the fridge for later.
- Be sure to use fine shredded/desiccated coconut. With this type of coconut, the shreds are really tiny and the coconut is more dry. If you use regular shredded coconut (the long strands) the macaroons won’t hold together as well and will spread way too much!
- Serving Size: 1 macaroon
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 6g
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: chocolate coconut macaroons