Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Published Jul 13, 2021, Updated Jun 01, 2022
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This thick and creamy dragon fruit smoothie bowl has a beautiful, bright pink color and tastes just like a smoothie bowl you’d get from a smoothie shop.
Move over acai bowls, there’s a new super fruit in town that makes bright and beautiful smoothie bowls with a lovely pink hue. The fruit I’m referring to is dragon fruit and despite it’s name it has quite a mild and sweet flavor.
For some reason acai bowls have taken the world by storm. Don’t get me wrong… they’re delicious but there are so many different berries you can use to create similar bowls and those seem to be left in the dust! When I first stumbled across these dragon fruit puree smoothie packets, I wasn’t sure they’d live up to the acai hype but turns out I was wrong. Very wrong.
What is Dragon Fruit?
Dragon fruit is a tropical fruit that is native to Southern Mexico and Central America. It is also known as pitaya, pitahaya, and strawberry pear. It has a unique taste that reminds me of a melon or kiwi. The outside of the fruit is a vibrant pink color with light green (hence the dragon name). The inside of the fruit is typically white with black seeds. It is rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. You can eat fresh dragon fruit (or use fresh fruit for this smoothie!) but I used frozen dragon fruit packs for my smoothie bowl.
What is a Smoothie Bowl?
A smoothie bowl is as simple as it sounds… a smoothie in a bowl! If you’re sick of enjoying smoothies from a glass, switch it up and eat it out of a bowl instead! Smoothie bowls are typically thicker, eaten with a spoon and topped with a variety of toppings for added texture and flavors.
Here’s What You Need
- dragon fruit smoothie packets – I used Pitaya Plus and love them! They have a sweet, mild flavor and there’s no sugar added. Any brand works just make sure there is no added sugar if you want the keep the sugar content lower!
- frozen banana – this adds a little sweetness and helps make the bowl thick and creamy. If you aren’t a fan of banana you could try adding in frozen cauliflower rice, frozen zucchini or avocado to get the creamy texture we’re looking for.
- almond butter – any nut or seed butter works here, but I like the flavor of almond butter.
- unsweetened vanilla almond milk – any milk will work in this bowl but I like using unsweetened vanilla almond milk! Unsweetened almond milk is low in calories and has zero sugar!
tip! Add in a scoop of chocolate or vanilla protein powder while blending your smoothie for an added protein boost!
The Magic is in the Toppings!
Smoothie bowls are popular because of their toppings! I love making fun designs but don’t feel like you need to. Here are some topping ideas:
- banana slices – banana lovers, add more on top!
- berries – or any fresh fruit works.
- shredded coconut – I love adding shredded coconut for extra flavor!
- homemade granola – make homemade granola or use store bought to add extra crunch and flavor.
More Smoothie Recipes to Try:
- Maqui Berry Smoothie Bowl
- Ultimate Green Smoothie Bowl
- Fall Inspired Pumpkin Pitaya Bowl
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- Cranberry Smoothie
- Peach Smoothie
- Blue Smoothie Bowl
Be sure to check out all of the smoothie recipes on EBF!
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
- 2 Pitaya Plus Smoothie packets
- 1 frozen banana, in chunks
- 1/2 Tablespoon almond butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Toppings: banana slices, berries, shredded coconut, homemade granola
- Add all of the ingredients except toppings into a blender.
- Blend until smooth, using the tamper on your blender to help move the frozen fruit around. You shouldn't need to but you can add more almond milk if the mixture is too thick to process. Remember it's a smoothie bowl so you want it plenty thick!
- Scoop into a bowl. Sprinkle on toppings and enjoy immediately.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
I’ve made this twice so far and it’s very good. I love the mild, delicate taste of pitaya vs. açaí (which is just too sweet for me). It’s also a great alternative to protein-powder based smoothie bowls. I used the Pitaya Plus brand.
This smoothie bowl is the best! Especially on a beautiful summer night!
Yay! So glad this smoothie bowl was a success, Chelsea! Thanks for trying it and coming back to leave a review. I really appreciate it!
PHENOMENAL FLAVOR! Such a sweet treat with the banana and pitaya! I topped with blackberries, cacao nibs, slivered almonds and granola! Such good flavor, I love the added almond better for more creaminess! This smoothie bowl turns out so pretty!
Yay!! I’m so glad this smoothie bowl was a hit, Taylor!! Thanks so much for trying it and coming back to leave a review. I really appreciate it!
This looks so refreshing! We’ve had way too many 100+ degree days here this summer. This looks great for breakfast (or dessert!)
It’s super refreshing, Janet! Let me know if you try it 🙂
Thanks for your marvellous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.
I will always bookmark your blog and definitely will come back from now on. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great writing,
Have a nice afternoon!
See More Comments