Strawberry Sunrise Juice

by on February 3, 2013

Guess what came out of hibernation last week? My juicer! I have the Conscious Cleanse to thank for reminding me to dust if off and Parkesdale Farms for inspiring me to make a strawberry juice by sending me a massive shipment of strawberries.

Parkesdale Strawberries

What do you do when you have eight cartons of strawberries? Share, snack and then juice… at least that’s what I did.

It’s not berry season here in Virginia so it was such a fun surprise to have perfectly ripe strawberries from Florida to snack on. And I’d never juiced strawberries before but since I had so many I decided to give it a shot.

Strawberry Sunrise Juice

I threw a bunch of strawberries into the juicer and although the juice was delicious on it’s own, I couldn’t stop there. I rummaged through my veggie drawer and started grabbing other things I thought would be good in the juice — romaine lettuce, carrots, lemon, kale…

Strawberry Sunrise Juice

I took a sip at this point and thought it was pretty good but still a little earthy tasting so I added an apple. As it turns out, this was an awesome decision. It would have been fine without the apple but the added sweetness made it much more enjoyable. Hardcore green juice drinkers probably wouldn’t need the apple so if that’s you, feel free to try this recipe without it.

I shared a little of my juice with Isaac, but made him his own little cup of grapefruit juice as well, which btw is amazing and so much better than any bottled grapefruit juice you’ve ever tasted.

Strawberry Sunrise Juice

• 1 head of romaine lettuce
  • 3 carrots
  • ½ of a peeled lemon
  • 2 leaves of kale
  • 1 apple
Instructions
  1. Place all ingredients into a juicer. Enjoy!

Do you have a juicer? Are you using it or is collecting dust like mine was? What’s your favorite juice combination? I still have my juicer out so I’m up for trying new combinations. :)

Clean Eating 101 February 4, 2013 at 9:08 am

Looks better then mine.
I thought adding parsnips to my juice (Juicing post super bowl flatbread pizza experience) would be a good idea, NOT!
I too opened the veggie drawer this am, gathered all the beauties that seemed to be on the verge of loosing their nutritional value…… This am I start with the promise in my head that all day I will have juice, salad

taylor @ taylormade February 4, 2013 at 9:32 am

oooh, I’ve never juiced strawberries… yum! I can’t wait for berry season.

Lauren February 4, 2013 at 9:51 am

I love fresh juice but I always spend a small fortune for one since I don’t own a juicer. It’s probably worth the investment though. THis looks delicious!

Shannon February 4, 2013 at 10:47 am

Just made a sweet deal with Mallory of Mal’s Miles Blog and am now officially juicing!!! Can’t wait to throw some strawberries in the mix (and probably vodka).

Brittany Mullins February 4, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Nice! So glad you got the juicer. :)

Traci February 4, 2013 at 2:50 pm

My boyfriend got a juicer for his birthday last month and I’ve been hooked ever since. We’re a little stuck as to new ideas, but we love apple-cucumber-carrot-beet-ginger-lemon, sometimes without the beet as well. I also ironically used your carrot cake juice recipe and it was fantastic! I’m trying to come up with a few more vegetable-based juices that are lower in sugar though (and still taste somewhat good, haha), if anyone has good ideas I would love to know!

Natasha F March 18, 2014 at 3:16 pm

I am new to juicing world & my kids (5 year &1year) love Purple Lemonade!
2 Peeled Oranges
1 Small Beet
1/2 lemon (Keep Peel On)
1 Gala Apple
3 Kale Leaves
Taste like shake up! Add a green apple instead of the gala apple for a more sour taste! I peel my beet and cut the greens to tone down the earthy taste! Recipe.came from http://thealmostvegetarian.com/juicer-recipe-purple-lemonade/

Brittany Mullins March 19, 2014 at 2:37 pm

This sounds delicious Natasha. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah @ The Social Eater February 4, 2013 at 3:06 pm

My favorite combo these days is 2 carrots, an apple, a handful or two of spinach, and about half a lemon.

Liz @ iheartvegetables February 4, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Yum!!! that looks so good!

Kitzykat February 4, 2013 at 8:07 pm

You’ve probably covered this at length somewhere–but any recommendations on juicer brands? I live in SoCal, so the produce is endless here….; )

Brittany Mullins February 4, 2013 at 9:29 pm

My juicer isn’t one I would necessarily recommend. It was pretty inexpensive and doesn’t juice things as well as I’d like. I’ve heard Breville is a good brand but I’m not sure which model to suggest because I don’t have one.

Amber February 4, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I have a ninja but no juicer…do you think it would do the trick? I’m obsessed with your blog btw~ thanks for all the great recipes!

Marianne February 5, 2013 at 3:24 am

My juicer often stays hidden under the counter, since it takes up so much space, and sucks to clean. But when the mood strikes, my fave combinations include green apple/lime/kale/cucumber/celery or apple/beet/carrot. Simple, classic, delicious.

Nat February 5, 2013 at 7:29 am

I am a huge juice and smoothie fan, and even though I love grapefruits and strawberries I can honestly say I have never juiced or blended either of them! You’ve inspired me!

Thanks! :D

Amy February 5, 2013 at 10:35 am

This might be a strange question, but, is that a metal straw?

Brittany Mullins February 5, 2013 at 5:51 pm

No worries. I get that question a lot. :) They are stainless steel. I got them on Amazon – http://astore.amazon.com/eatbirfoo-20/detail/B000AUIN18

Rachel February 5, 2013 at 11:07 am

Yum!! I really want to get a juicer… but might have to wait until I move out haha

Sara @ fitcupcaker February 5, 2013 at 3:01 pm

ive really been loving strawberries lately! But I still dont have a juicer :(

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 5, 2013 at 11:20 pm

This sounds so good! I love fruit juices that secretly incorporate lots of great veggies, too. This is such a great way to fit several servings of fruits and veggies into a day when you simply aren’t in the veggie or fruit mood (though that is rare for me! ;)).

Hayley@PBRunnerGirl February 6, 2013 at 9:21 am

I finally got a juicer last week, so I will have to try making this juice for a snack today! Thanks for the recipe!

Rachel @ RachelRuns29.11 February 6, 2013 at 11:59 am

Parksdale Farms are delicious! The farm is about 20 minutes from my house and we pick there every year. That being said, I have NEVER had strawberry juice and I use my juicer everyday. I’d never thought about it but that sounds delicious! And I know what you mean about fresh grapefruit juice, there is nothing like it.

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} February 9, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I got a hand-me down juicer from my mom and so far have only made one juice with it (carrots-beets-sweet potato). I am going to try my hand at another juice tomorrow. Got some romaine, apples, carrots, lemon, ginger, celery, oranges, at the store, not sure what I will throw together yet.