Have a dessert-inspired morning with this vegan banana split breakfast bowl. It’s loaded with dairy-free yogurt, caramelized bananas, fresh berries, cacao nibs and grain-free granola. Vegan, gluten-free and kid-friendly! This post is sponsored by Silk.
I get asked frequently about a good substitute for regular yogurt and until recently I hadn’t tried any dairy-free yogurt options that I absolutely loved. That changed when Silk reached out to me about trying their new dairy-free almondmilk yogurt alternative. There are 5 delicious flavors including: plain, vanilla, strawberry, peach and dark chocolate coconut. Each one has 5-6g of protein from almond butter and offers a smooth, creamy texture. I was pumped to find a couple flavors at my local Kroger and pleasantly surprised by the texture and flavor. It’s definitely the best dairy-free yogurt I’ve tried and I like that the ingredient list is really short.
With this banana split breakfast bowl you can use whichever flavor you prefer. For minimal sugar, definitely go with the plain version (it only has 6 grams). I used the vanilla almond, because my store was out of the plain. If you enjoy sweeter breakfasts the vanilla almond will be right up your alley.
This bowl looks fancy, but it takes just minutes to prep. Simply toss your bananas in a pan with coconut oil so they get a little caramelization, add your toppings and enjoy. I choose to top mine with fresh, seasonal berries, cacao nibs, my grain-free granola and a drizzle of almond butter but feel free to play around with your favorite breakfast bowl toppings! Although, I highly recommend the granola. It’s SO good!
I’m calling this a banana split breakfast because I love the idea of a spruced up breakfast bowl and most people don’t consider fruit and yogurt a dessert. That said, when you use the vanilla almond flavor this banana split is totally dessert-worthy. Especially with the caramelized bananas!
Isaac and I actually ended up splitting one of the banana split breakfast bowls for dessert one night and we both absolutely loved it. The vanilla almond yogurt tasted like a melty whipped cream, which makes me want to try using it instead of whipped cream with strawberry shortcake!
Vegan Banana Split Breakfast
- Peel bananas and cut each down the center with a knife.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray liberally with coconut oil cooking spray. Add banana halves, split side down and let cook for 1-2 minutes, until the bottom is a little brown and the banana has softened a bit. Use a spatula to remove banana slices from the skillet, place on a plate to cool and sprinkle with a little cinnamon. (This step is optional. See note)
- While bananas are cooling, wash berries and slice strawberries.
- Grab two bowls and add two banana halves to each. I criss-crossed mine, but you can arrange them any way you like.
- Add 1 container of almondmilk yogurt into each bowl, allowing yogurt to cover most of the banana slices. Add fresh berries, cacao nibs and grain-free granola. Drizzle a little almond butter over each and serve.
If it's a busy morning and you don't have time to sauté the bananas simply skip this step.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.