Cereal lovers rejoice! This healthy superfood cereal is loaded with nutrient-dense foods, plus it’s gluten free, has no added sugars and packs a nice punch of omega-3s and protein. Put the cereal in a mason jar for easy transport when you need a quick on-the-go breakfast!
Not going to lie, I L-O-V-E cereal. I grew up having it for breakfast almost every morning, as a snack after school and for dessert after dinner. My mom would keep the pantry loaded with at least three to four different boxes at all times and she didn’t make me eat the “healthy cereals” either. We had the good good –> Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cinnamon Life, Smacks and Cookie Crisp.
Isaac grew up loving cereal too so we’ll have it as a treat every now and then, but it’s no longer a nightly snack like it was when we first started living together. If I buy cereal now it’s usually for a recipe.
That said, there are still days when I have a craving for a bowl of cereal so that’s where the idea for this healthy superfood cereal came about. I wanted to create something that was cereal-like, but loaded with good for you ingredients.
This cereal blend features a base of raw oats, protein powder, chia seeds, buckwheat groats, coconut, hemp seeds, cinnamon and goji berries. Topped with banana slices and almond milk, it’s crunchy, a little chewy and perfectly sweet — similar to regular cereal, only not because this is actually filling. I’m full after one bowl, rather than headed back to the pantry to load up my bowl a second or third time like I do with packaged cereal.
Another great thing about this cereal is that it can be prepared ahead of time. You can easily make multiple mason jars full of the cereal blend during weekly meal prep. All you need to do in the morning is add milk and fresh fruit.
You can eat the cereal right away or let the almond milk soak into the ingredients a bit before enjoying. I recommend trying it both ways to figure out which texture you enjoy most.
If you let it soak, the oats will soften and the chia seeds will gel up so the mixture will become thick almost like chia pudding. This option is great if you want to bring the cereal to work with you. You can grab your jar, add fresh fruit and almond milk, let it soak on your commute and dig in once you get settled at work! Of course, having breakfast prepped ahead of time is great for those of us that work from home too. I’m all about making my morning routine more efficient and having breakfast prepped is key!
Added bonus, this superfood cereal is super customizable. Feel free to play around by adding some of your favorite superfoods — I’m thinking about adding cacao powder and maca to my next blend!Print
Finally, a healthy cereal packed with superfoods!
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats (make sure your oats are GF, if that’s important to you)
- 1/2 –1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 2 Tablespoons raw buckwheat groats
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon goji berries (or dried cranberries)
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- banana slices
- 1 cup unsweetened Almond Breeze almond milk
- optional add ins: maca, camu camu, mangosteen or your favorite superfood powder
- Mix oats, protein powder, buckwheat groats, chia seeds, goji berries, coconut, hemp seeds and cinnamon in a bowl and cover until ready to enjoy.
- When ready, pour almond milk over the cereal mixture and give it a big stir. Top with banana slices and eat immediately or allow mixture to soak up some of the almond milk before enjoying.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 376
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 17g
- Protein: 19g
GET THE INGREDIENTS:
What was your favorite cereal growing up?