Having eggs and oats for breakfast? Put them in one bowl for a sweet + savory egg and oatmeal bowl that offers the perfect balance of protein, carbs and fat. Added bonus, there’s only one serving dish to wash!
A bowl of oatmeal with a side of eggs makes for a wonderful healthy breakfast. It’s got the perfect balance of macronutrients, it’s energizing and super filling.
Most people serve this breakfast up in two dishes, but apparently I’m not your typical person because in an effort not to dirty up two dishes I started combining them into one bowl. Yup, cooked oatmeal, scrambled egg whites and a fried egg… all in one bowl. It’s a thing!
Combining eggs with oatmeal isn’t anything new considering savory oats have been around for ages and whipping egg whites into oats is totally a thing (i.e. my protein pumpkin egg white oats), but this egg and oat combo bowl is unique because it’s got a sweet and savory thing going on. And the toppings are where things really get unique.
I like my eggs spicy so I add hot sauce or crushed red pepper to those and for the oats I cook them in water with cinnamon and then add a drizzle almond or peanut butter for serving.
I’ve shared this bowl on Instagram a bunch and to some it sounds crazy. Combining eggs and almond butter… what? Even Isaac thinks it so weird, but it works for me and I had to share the recipe because there has to be some others who will enjoy this egg and oatmeal bowl too.
I can’t be the only sweet and savory lover who likes keeping dishes at a minimum and doesn’t mind eggs and oats touching in the same bowl. Right?!
This bowl has become my go-to breakfast on the days I workout because it has the perfect balance of macros: protein, whole grain carbs and healthy fat. And it’s really customizable to meet your tastes and needs.
I love doing one fried egg paired with scrambled egg whites, but you can easily scramble the egg and egg whites together or just do all egg whites. And the toppings are totally flexible too. I love almond/peanut butter and hot sauce, but feel free to play around with your favorite toppings.
The only challenging thing about this bowl is deciding whether to use a fork or spoon. Sometimes I actually use both, but most of the time I’m Team Spoon.
Egg and Oat Combo Bowl
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- dash of sea salt
- dash of cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 egg (or more egg whites)
- sea salt and pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon almond butter (optional)
- crushed red pepper or hot sauce (optional)
- Heat water and oats in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add a little sea salt and cinnamon to the oats, if using. Cook the oats, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until the oats are creamy and the consistency you like. Remove from heat until the eggs are ready.
- While oats are cooking, spray a skillet with coconut-oil cooking spray. Add egg whites to the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until egg whites are solid. Once the egg whites are cooked through and scrambled, push them to one side of the pan so they’ll stay warm and add the whole egg to the pan to cook. Once the egg is cooked through to your liking.
- Once both the eggs and oats are finished cooking grab a bowl (I like using a shallow, wide bowl) add oats to one side and top with almond butter (if using) and eggs to the other side with hot sauce or red pepper flakes. Eat with a spoon, fork or both!
If you’re feeling adventurous and decide to give this egg and oatmeal combo bowl a try, let me know how it turns out in the comment section or share a photo on social media. Just be sure to tag me (@eatingbirdfood + #eatingbirdfood) so that I see it!