Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup
This creamy vegetarian soup comes together quickly and is packed with 16 grams of protein per serving!
- 1 teaspoon of coconut or olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup of dry red lentils (washed and picked through for stones)
- 1½ cups of chopped butternut squash
- 6 cups of low sodium vegetable broth, divided 4 cups and 2 cups
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- sea salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add onion, carrots and garlic and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Add lentils, squash and 4 cups of the broth to the pot. Add the seasonings. Bring to a boil, then turn down to low and let the soup simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the extra 2 cups of broth, heat for 5 more minutes and serve.
Serving size: 11/2 cups Calories: 247 Fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 45g Sugar: 10g Fiber: 10g Protein: 16g