Butternut squash and Red Lentil Soup
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 cup of dry red lentils (washed and picked through for stones)
- 1½ cups of chopped butternut squash
- 6 cups of vegetable broth (divided 4 cups and 2 cups) - I used Pacific low sodium
- Seasonings to taste: (I used a pinch to two pinches of each)
- Dried basil, oregano, thyme, black pepper, and cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a large soup pot, and sauté the onion, carrots and garlic for about 5 minutes or until the onions are tender. Add lentils, squash and 4 cups of the broth to the pot. Add the seasonings and let simmer for about 30 minutes.
- The lentils soaked up a lot of the broth so at the end to make it less thick I added the extra 2 cups of broth. I like my soup to be less thick, but you could forego the extra broth if you like it that way.