Happy Monday friends. I hope you had a great weekend. Mine was nice with tasty Indian food on Friday night (at the new spot in Carytown, Curry Craft) lots of wedding planning stuff, a trip to the farmer’s market, a visit from my mom and a little baking/cooking. Not too shabby.
Some green goodness was involved as well…
Sunday morning I woke up craving something green for breakfast but I didn’t feel like breaking out my juicer. I decided to try making a green juice smoothie in my Vitamix. I usually use frozen bananas and almond milk as a base for all my smoothies but I wanted this one to be more like juice so I stuck with a pear and water.
The Vitamix did a great job of pulverizing everything which resulted in a smooth textured drink that’s not only detoxifying, but alkalizing and energizing as well.
- 2 cups raw kale
- 1 large pear, cored and sliced into large pieces
- ½ cucumber, peeled
- juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup ice
- ¾ cup cold water
- Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender. Blend until smooth, adding additional water until the smoothie is the texture and consistency you enjoy.
I know there are benefits to both juicing and blending, but this type of green smoothie is great for a few reasons:
- You don’t have to clean a myriad of juicer pieces (Score!)
- You get all the fiber from the fruit and veggies so your blood sugar won’t spike
- The smoothie is thicker and a bit more filling than a juice (IMO)
I paired the smoothie with a few mini protein muffins for breakfast and it was the perfect boost of energy to start my day, but I could also see this being a great mid-afternoon snack. And for all of you that may have indulged in one too many margaritas yesterday in celebration of Cinco De Mayo, this would be a great recovery drink this morning. Just throwing that out there.