Spicy and Cheesy Kale Chips

by on April 4, 2011

Hello amazingly delicious kale chips!!

cheesy kale chips.JPG

First, there’s a little story behind me making these:

Recently, I won a giveaway for the book Ravenous: A Food Lover’s Journey from Obsession to Freedom from The Wellness Woman.

Ravenous.jpg

While I’m super excited to read the book, I was also pumped when I saw that there were two raw treats (kale chips and a raw sugar cookie) included in the package. I sat the packaged treats in what I thought was a “safe spot” on the coffee table for later. Well, it wasn’t a very safe spot because I came home for lunch and found empty packages on the floor and a dog with a belly full of raw foods!

We don’t feed Olive human food and she’s never gotten into food on the coffee table, but for some reason the raw goodies attracted her. Apparently, she has good taste. Obviously I was mad at her, but it’s really hard to be mad for long because she’s just so darn cute.

Anyhow, since my kale chips were eaten without me even getting a bite I decided to make a batch of my own.

Spicy and Cheesy Kale Chips

Adapted from The Best Cheesy Kale Chips

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 bunches of kale, washed, dried, stems removed and torn into medium sized pieces
  • 1 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours
  • 2-3 T lemon juice
  • 2 T nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 cup red bell pepper
  • 1 t ground chipotle chili pepper
  • 1/2 t of pink Himalayan sea salt (from Trader Joe’s)
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
Preparation:
  1. Add all ingredients expect the kale to a high powered blender or food processor. Process until you get a smooth consistency.
  2. Massage sauce onto kale with hands.
  3. Dehydrate at 115° until crispy. (8-12 hours)
  4. Try not to eat the whole batch in 1 sitting! :)

Cheesy Kale Chips.JPG

This recipe makes kale chips that are covered in a thick spicy/cheesy sauce and perfectly crispy. They’re seriously amazing! I ate over a dozen as part of my breakfast and by the time lunch was over I had polished off a whole dehydrator sheet of them. Luckily I made a large batch and still have 1 sheet worth left, for now!

No dehydrator, no problem. While I definitely think dehydrating takes kale chips to a different level, that doesn’t mean you can’t make kale chips if you don’t have one. I’ve seen (and tried) several recipes that can be made using an oven. Check out both Kath Eats and Smitten Kitchen for recipes.

But I will let you in on a little secret – while kale chips are healthy, they are just as addictive as regular chips! Be prepared. :)

kate@ahealthypassion April 4, 2011 at 11:20 pm

ahhh I have been wanting to try these for awhile now yum!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 4, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Those chips look so good! I don’t have a dehydrator that goes that low; mine goes to 148F, I believe. Hoping to get an adjustable temp one some time soon! :)

Eating Bird Food April 4, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I bet you could use your dehydrator on 148°- just for a shorter amount of time.

Amy Cohan July 13, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I sold my dehydrator thinking I wasn’t going to use it but I was wrong I love it and missed but you can make Kale Chips in the oven. My oven only goes to 170 so I put them on the top shelf and leave the door open a crack they came out great! And Yes they are Addictive! I am always picking at them before they are done!

Kristina April 4, 2011 at 11:29 pm

THANK YOU! I had cheesy kale chips as part of a foodzie tasting box and they were AMAZING… so I went to order some only to find they were almost $30 for 3 bags – no thanks! Now I can just make them myself, much cheaper :)

Eating Bird Food April 4, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I know!! I saw some in Whole Foods the other day and they were $7 for a tiny package! It’s so much cheaper to make them yourself.

Emma (Namaste Everyday) April 5, 2011 at 12:01 am

Love this recipe! I have been toying with the idea of chard chips.. we’ll see what comes of that..

Tara April 5, 2011 at 12:25 am

Yum this looks good. I tried to make kale chips once but wasn’t 100% sold… I am convinced I need to give the a second chance though :) maybe I’ll try these! Thanks for sharing.

Hannah @ Healthy Life April 5, 2011 at 1:52 am

I still haven’t tried these! I don’t often see kale in the supermarket, so I must seek it out!!

Laura April 5, 2011 at 2:54 am

I JUST made these the other night but since I don’t have a dehydrator I just coated them with some olive oil, sea salt, and nutritional yeast and baked them in the oven. They were absolutely to die for! I can’t wait to make more of them. Will you be reviewing the book that you won? Im excited to read it, it seems right up my alley! :o)

Eating Bird Food April 5, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Hi Laura, i definitely want to review the book once I’ve read it.

Tessa December 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I don’t have a dehydrator either…Do you remember the setting you used on your oven and how long you left them in for? Thanks :)

lindsay July 9, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I made this recipe and it was great! I don’t have a dehydrator, so I put them in the oven at 200 degrees and baked for a little over an hour. They were perfect and very similar to other versions I’ve tried made with a dehydrator!

olivewineandfood April 5, 2011 at 6:35 am

my dog’s name is Olive too : )

The Teenage Taste April 5, 2011 at 7:15 am

YESSS!!! I never knew it was possible for kale chips to be made in the oven. My life is now complete! :-)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life April 5, 2011 at 8:02 am

Lucky dog! Recipe looks delicious.

Megan@eatmybeets April 5, 2011 at 8:37 am

haha One year at Easter, my childhood dog ate all of my family’s Easter bunnies! It was funny though because she neatly took them out of the package. There was no big mess, just missing chocolate. (She apparently did not have a sensitivity to chocolate/sugar)
I can’t wait to hear about that book. It sounds really intriguing.

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) April 5, 2011 at 8:57 am

Thank you for sharing this recipe! Once I get a dehydrator I will be trying these!!!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 5, 2011 at 10:12 am

I love kale chips with nutritional yeast & garlic salt, but that sauce looks like it’d take them to a whole new level!! YUM!

Cait's Plate April 5, 2011 at 11:29 am

I’m DYING to try Kale chips!! I’m so scared to make them for some reason and I don’t know why! I think it’s time to break out and just finally try it – this recipe has inspired me :)

Eating Bird Food April 5, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Yay! I hope you end up trying them!!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic April 5, 2011 at 12:32 pm

What a sneaky puppy!!!! Can’t wait for dinner tonight, yay! :)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables April 5, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I was JUST making kale chips a few minutes ago! I was just making plain ones… but I left them in the oven and forgot about them. Oops. Burnt to a crisp!

Sarah April 5, 2011 at 9:01 pm

mmm I love kale chips! This looks like a fun way to spice them up!

RT @ Stop Smoking April 6, 2011 at 12:10 am

My mother in law loves kale. I still can’t bring myself to try them, although, the chip idea intrigues me a bit. I have to be on a lower salt diet because of my heart and I think these might be a slightly better alternative to the processed and super-salty tortilla chips I get in the store. Have you tried them with less salt, like maybe only a pinch instead of the half tsp.?

RT

Eating Bird Food April 6, 2011 at 12:14 am

I haven’t tried them with less salt but I think they would taste fine without it!

Caroline November 20, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Is there a way to print this recipe?

Nyla April 30, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Yum, yum, yum!!! Thanks for this recipe!

Vicki beach September 4, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Great recipe! I also loved the book!

Candace September 10, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I just put a batch of this into the dehydrator. I made this once already and they disappeared so fast I had to make it again! Wonderfully delicious!

Brittany Mullins September 10, 2012 at 10:27 pm

That happens to me every time! :)

Deanna October 29, 2012 at 8:45 am

these look just like the ones they sell in the store! brava! I MUST get on my dehyrator grind.

Marie January 14, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Awesome recipe! Wonderful kale chips!

Caitlin January 17, 2013 at 6:03 pm

How much in cups is 1.5 bunches of kale?

Caitlin January 17, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Or ounces, either one :)

Aceey April 12, 2013 at 10:14 am

This recipe was DELICIOUS!
Ok, I admit that the first time I made this, I was too anxious and turned the heat up… smh! Note to self: Do not make when hungry or seriously craving chips. The second batch was too perfect. Thank you for sharing this great recipe.

Stephanie Blue June 23, 2013 at 10:37 am

These are dehydrating right now. The cashew cheese sauce was super tasty; I kept taking finger licks. Yum!

Cindy December 6, 2013 at 1:02 am

Can these be stored in an air-tight container, once they are completely dry? Or are they best eaten immediately? Sounds so delicious but I don’t think I’ll bake them everyday if I’m craving them all the time.

Eating Bird Food December 7, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Hi Cindy. They’ll probably last a couple days but they do taste best immediately, in my opinion.

Krysti December 14, 2013 at 6:58 pm

There is no nutritional yeast that I could find in stores near me, Can I use something else?

Eating Bird Food December 14, 2013 at 8:07 pm

There’s not a great substitute that will give the same nutty, cheesy flavor that the nutritional yeast offers. You can order it online if you can’t find it. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nutritional+yeast

Angela L. January 4, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Can cashew butter be substituted for the soaked cashews? Just got a dehydrator for Christmas and these are the first thing I’m making!