Yes, you CAN roast frozen broccoli — straight from the bag, no defrosting necessary. Trust me, this healthy cooking hack for roasted frozen broccoli will save you so much time and money!
If you’re like me, you live for life hacks… especially in the kitchen. Anything that makes living a healthy life a little easier is a win in my book.
I often buy pre-chopped veggies to save time in the kitchen (FYI: Trader Joe’s is an awesome spot for this!), but until recently I sort of avoided buying frozen veggies because I would much rather eat roasted vegetables packed with flavor than soggy, steamed vegetables.
Well, let me introduce you to my newest little cooking hack: roasted frozen broccoli.
I don’t know why it took me so long to figure this little trick out, but a couple months ago I realized that you can roast frozen broccoli and my world was changed. Of course the texture isn’t exactly the same as roasting fresh broccoli florets, but the frozen broccoli florets still get a little crispy and I honestly don’t mind that the texture is a bit softer — especially when you consider the fact that there is almost no prep work at all. I mean all you have to do is preheat your oven, dump the bag of frozen broccoli on a pan, add a little oil (you can use spray oil for this) and some seasonings, and you’re ready to roast.
If that doesn’t make your day, I don’t know what will. Kidding!
Also, frozen vegetables are awesome for a number of reasons…
- They are super affordable.
- They are frozen when they’re at their peak freshness, so they’re packed with nutrients.
- Since they’re frozen, you don’t have to stress about eating them within X days of buying. And you can keep a few bags in your freezer for emergencies.
So far I’ve tried this roasted frozen veggie hack with broccoli and cauliflower and it works great with both, but for whatever reason I think the roasted frozen broccoli is better, probably because it crisps up a bit more. I’m not complaining because we all need more green veggies in our lives, right?
Feel free to have fun with this recipe and try it with different vegetables, a different oil/fat, different spices — the options are really endless. For the seasonings you can keep it uber simple with a few liberal shakes of sea salt and pepper, which is what I usually do, or get fancy and add on some additional spices like garlic powder, onion powder, curry and/or cayenne. Obviously you don’t have to use all of these. Just pick your favs.
Yes, you CAN roast frozen broccoli — straight from the bag, no defrosting necessary. Trust me, this healthy cooking hack will save you so much time and money!
- 1 16 oz bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1 Tablespoon avocado or olive oil (or spray)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Additional seasoning options: onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, curry powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Empty bag of frozen broccoli florets onto a baking sheet or stone. If you’re using a baking sheet you can line it with parchment for easy clean-up. Drizzle oil over broccoli, add seasonings and toss to combine. Place in preheated oven and roast for 25-30 minutes, tossing once at the 15-minute mark. Remove from oven and serve warm.
Be sure to get the frozen florets. Frozen chopped broccoli includes the stems, which is fine if that’s what you like, but I prefer the florets.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 124kcal
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 532mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 0
I want to hear from you! Do you have any heathy cooking hacks? Have you ever roasted frozen vegetables? Definitely let me know if you try this roasted frozen broccoli hack. I hope you love it as much as we do.