A crunchy snack mix featuring a blend of nuts and seeds coated with cajun-inspired seasonings. Add raisins for some sweetness or skip them for a low-carb snack! This Cajun Trail Mix is perfect for parties, game-day or mid-afternoon snacking.
I’m so pumped that you all are just as excited as I am about EBF Trail Mix week! Who knew there were so many trail mix lovers out there?
Today’s cajun trail mix is for those of us who crave flavor and spice.
I’m no cajun spice guru, but I’m pretty sure this cajun trail mix has all the right components. And even if it doesn’t, it’s finger-licking good and that’s all that matters. Right?
The best part? This mix is super simple to make! Start by tossing together your peanuts, walnuts, almonds and sunflower seeds, covered them in a spicy blend of seasonings and dried herbs and roast to perfection.
Once the nuts have cooled you can add a few raisins to the mix for a hint of sweetness. The raisins are optional and if you’re looking for a low-sugar mix, you can certainly leave them out, BUT they do add a sweet component that helps balance the heat.
The flavor reminds me of the pub mix that some bars give you to munch on while sipping your drink. Can I let you in on a little secret? I always get excited when a bar offers a mix like this because I love them… usually even more than the drink I’m sipping. Although I will say, I usually only eat the mix if a small bowl is given to each guest. If it’s a communal bowl for the whole bar with lots of people putting their grubby fingers — no thanks!
I can’t think of a single bar in Richmond that offers pub-mix, but DoG Street Pub in Williamsburg offers spicy seasoned peanuts that are SO good. I almost bought a container to bring home last time we visited, but I knew I’d probably eat the whole thing on the drive home so I resisted. 😉
I can’t be trusted around delicious nutty mixes and this cajun trail mix is no different. I think we polished off the whole mix in less than a day. And by we I mean I ate most of it and Isaac has like two handfuls. Oops!
That said, definitely double the recipe if you’re planning to take the mix to a party. It will go fast!Print
A crunchy snack mix featuring a blend of nuts and seeds coated with cajun-inspired seasonings. Add raisins for some sweetness or skip them for a low-carb snack!
- 1 cup raw peanuts
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup rasins (optional)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place all ingredients except raisins in a large bowl and toss to combine. Make sure all the nuts have a little seasoning on them. Spread nuts evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a baking stone. Bake for 15-20 minutes, toss nuts about half way through roasting and watch them carefully near the end making sure the nuts don’t burn. Remove once nuts are golden brown. Cool completely before adding raisins (if using). Stir mixture together and serve or place in an air-tight container for storage.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup (without raisins)
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 7g