- 1 lb Extra-firm tofu
- 1 tb Soy sauce
- 2 ts Asian sesame oil
- 1 ts Grated orange zest
- 4 tb Orange juice; from 1 med
- 1 ts Hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tb Peanut oil
- 1 lg Fennel bulb; bulb cut 1/2″ strips
- 2 Cloves of garlic; minced
- 1 tb Fresh gingerroot; grated
- 3 Scallions; sliced thin
- 10 Whole fresh basil leaves
- Drain tofu and cut into 3/4″ thick slabs. Blot slabs dry on paper towels. Cut slabs into 1/4″ cubes.
- Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, orange zest and juice, and hot red pepper flakes in small bowl and set aside.
- Heat large nonstick skillet on high until a drop of water evaporated immediately on contact. Add 1 tbsp peanut oil and heat briefly.
- Add tofu and cook, without disturbing cubes, until bottoms have browned – about 2-3 minutes. Turn tofu and cook another 2 minutes or until this side has browned. Turn and continue cooking until cubes are golden on every side. Transfer tofu pieces to plate and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to empty skillet and heat briefly. Add fennel and stir-fry until crisp and tender, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and scallions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Return tofu to pan.
- Stir in reserved orange sauce and add basil. Cook only until the sauce coats the tofu and fennel, about 15 seconds.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 267 calories, 19g protein, 10g fat, 10g carbo, 3g fiber, 160mg sodium, 5% Vit A, 24% viatamin C, 26% calcium.
Recipe credit: Natural Health Shopper, March 1999