Coconut Flour Mug Cake
Published May 13, 2020, Updated Mar 25, 2022
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Anyone else have a sweet tooth?! Ever since I can remember, I’ve been a fan of sweet treats. I love salty indulgences like french fries, but sweet things call to me more often! Because of this, I love having healthy sweet options at home and recreating some of my favorite treats like samoas cookies.
I almost always have the ingredients in my pantry to make this single-serving cake. It’s similar to my coconut flour banana bread but one serving… forced portion control. Ha!
Never made a mug cake? It’s a literal “cupcake” – a cake made in a cup! You mix everything in a mug and then “bake” it in the microwave. Dessert in less than five minutes. It really doesn’t get much better than that!
Coconut Flour Mug Cake Ingredients
There are plenty of regular mug cake recipes with flour, sugar and butter, but I wanted to make one that was a bit healthier with real food ingredients like coconut flour, banana and a natural sweetener. And the best part about this recipe is that you need minimal amounts of each ingredient! I usually have all of these ingredients in my pantry and I love that I don’t have to worry about having enough.
- coconut flour – you have to use coconut flour for this recipe. I haven’t tested it with any other flour
- maple syrup – I like the flavor of maple syrup, but you could also use honey or a zero-calorie sweetener like stevia or monkfruit. I haven’t tested the recipe with these options so you’ll have to experiment with how much to add.
- baking powder
- sea salt
- eggs whites or an egg
- coconut oil
- almond milk
- chocolate chips
Making a Mug Cake
Spoiler alert: to make a mug cake, you simply mix everything and cook it in a mug! Yes, an actual mug. Instead of baking this, you actually just microwave it! Start by microwaving for just two minutes. Check the center and if it’s still doughy, cook for another minute. Let sit for a few minutes before digging in!
More Coconut Flour Recipes to Try:
- Coconut Flour Pancakes
- Coconut Flour Cookies
- Coconut Flour Banana Bread
- Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies (Cut-Out Cookies)
- Coconut Flour Muffins
Coconut Flour Mug Cake
- Mix ingredients: In large mug, mix together coconut flour, maple syrup, baking powder, sea salt, banana, egg, coconut oil, almond milk, mashed banana and vanilla. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Cook: Place in microwave and heat on normal setting for 2 minutes. Check to see if it's still doughy in the center, if so heat for another minute until mug cake is cooked through. Let cool for 2-3 minutes, then enjoy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.