Remember the Banana Almond Teff Porridge I posted a few days ago? I turned the leftover porridge into something amazing…
a Banana Nut Teff Parfait!
After having teff porridge for breakfast two mornings in a row, I decided it would be fun to switch things up. My brain started cranking while staring into the fridge and then it hit me… why not make a parfait?
This shouldn’t be too surprising because I’ve been a parfait fan for years — I’ve even turned overnight oat and cooked quinoa into a parfait before. Yes, a parfait with quinoa! It’s not as crazy as it sounds, promise.
Here’s my quinoa parfait recipe, but you should also check on this Roasted Blueberry Coconut Quinoa Parfait from How Sweet Eats because it’s legit. And a tad more visually appealing than mine. Just a tad.
Just like quinoa and overnight oats, chilled teff porridge makes an excellent parfait. I really like the texture combo and the nutty flavor. It’s packed with lots of goodness (tons of protein!) and perfect for breakfast or a snack.
Plus, it’s in a jar and we all LOVE things that can be eaten from a jar. Examples: salad in a jar, oats in a jar, maple oat n’ apple dessert jars or you know, spoonfuls of nut butter straight from the jar. Speaking of — you should totally add a blob of nut butter to this parfait. I honestly don’t know why I didn’t.
- ½ batch of leftover Banana Almond Teff Porridge (recipe in a previous blog post)
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 cup greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt)
- 2 Tablespoons crushed or sliced almonds
- stevia to sweeten yogurt if necessary
- Stir cooked and cooled teff porridge until a bit more uniform in texture — it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Sweeten your plain yogurt with stevia or other sweetener, if desired. I used 5-6 drops of liquid vanilla stevia.
- Create two parfaits by layering the teff porridge and yogurt: Spoon a ¼ cup of yogurt into a half pint mason jar or bowl, then add a quarter of the teff porridge and top with a few banana slices and ½ Tablespoon almonds. Add another ¼ cup of yogurt and then another layer of teff. Top with almonds and banana slices. Repeat the same process to make one additional parfait.