Where to Shop for Healthy Foods:
- Ellwood Thompson’s: a local, organic market in Carytown. They have a large refrigerated section with pre-made wraps/sandwiches which are vegan/vegetarian friendly, a large hot bar/salad bar with a plethora of options, a fresh juice bar, a large bulk bin section and a prepared foods counter.
- Good Foods Grocery: an organic grocery store with a huge bulk bin selection. There are two locations in Richmond.
- Relay Foods: an online farmers market and grocery store that delivers local produce, artisan goods and regular grocery items to convenient pickup locations or directly to your house. (Currently serves RVA, Charlottesville, DC, NOVA and Baltimore.)
- Trader Joe’s: I like TJ’s for buying staples like almond milk, nuts, dried fruit, cereal, oats, yogurt, cheese, hummus and frozen fruits and veggies. I find their produce section to be a bit scant and overpriced but there are some items that are good buys like bagged greens and salad mixes and avocados, limes, lemons and onions. They also have ridiculously good deals on wine.
- Whole Foods: Whole Foods is my favorite store! They carry almost any organic product you can think of as well as obscure health food items like chia seeds and wheat grass. I like to make a stop at Whole Foods in all the cities I visit because they’re all set-up differently and have a variety of products based on the region and location. I’m pretty sure this makes me a health food nerd.
- Harvest Grocery + Supply
- Little House Green Grocery: Cute little neighborhood grocery in Northside
- Stella’s Grocery
- Union Market: Neighborhood grocery and eatery in Union Hill
** My absolute favorites are in bold.
- The Daily Kitchen & Bar: A new restaurant in Carytown that strives to serve foods that are not only delicious but also health conscious, environmentally friendly and socially responsible. Here’s my review.
- Early Bird Biscuit: Homemade biscuit shop in Lakeside. Isaac LOVES this place. Read his review here.
- Fresca on Addison: My favorite vegetarian restaurant in Richmond. They serve the same types of meals I would make for myself at home, which I love. The sushi sandwich on their homemade whole wheat pita bread is to die for!
- Ginger Thai Taste: One of the three Thai restaurants in Carytown, this place is my favorite Thai restaurant in Richmond. They have awesome Tom-Yum soup, green papaya salad and fresh spring rolls.
- Goatacado: An awesome food truck that serves up epic quinoa bowls. Vegetarian friendly and absolutely delicious. My two favorites are the Mountain Tropp (with apple & corn pico de gallo and gouda cheese) and the Haberdash (with sautéed mushrooms and a thai peanut sauce). Catch the truck at the South of the James Farmers Market for a breakfast quinoa bowl, which has an egg on top.They now have a permanent location at Carytown Bicycle Co. as well.
- Ipanema Cafe: Vegetarian/Vegan restaurant with delicious dishes and amazing desserts. The menu changes pretty often and is written on a chalkboard when you walk in.
- Lehja: I’ve never been to India, but this place has the best Indian food I’ve ever had. It’s authentic and so delicious.
- Mekong: The best beer bar ever! They have great Vietnamese food as well — I love the “build your own summer rolls” or the spicy green beans with veggies.
- Mezzanine: A farm-to-table restaurant we’ve been to several times for special occasions.
- Olio: A cute European market with great wraps, sandwiches, artisan cheeses, along with a great beer and wine selection. They also do catering and they catered our wedding.
- The Roosevelt: Cute and quaint restaurant in Church Hill with great drinks. They don’t have a ton of vegetarian options but everything I’ve had has been really good.
- Stella’s: A fabulous and authentic Greek restaurant.
- Urban Farmhouse Market and Cafe
- Alchemy Coffee: One of our favorite local coffee shops. They serve single-origin drip coffees, artfully crafted espresso beverages and the staff is really friendly. I love their cold brew coffee and almond milk lattes. They have a retail location on Broad St. near VCU and a coffee trailer that’s usually at the South of the James Farmers Market on Saturday mornings.
- Lamplighter Coffee: Cute, hipster spot to grab coffee. They roast their own beans and have three full coffee bar locations serving espresso, pour overs and various other brew methods. We stop by the Addison location often (we even took some of our engagement photos there). My husband and I always get the cold-brew iced coffee in the summer and when the days get cool we switch over to hot options. An almond milk café au lait for her and a dry cappuccino for him. I love the fruit and yogurt parfait with granola, but if you’re in the mood for a treat, grab one of the house-made sweet potato chai muffins. They’re Isaac’s favorite. They also serve made-to-order sandwiches and sides. I love the
- Gelati Celesti: a local shop that makes the most delicious homemade ice cream! The Cinnamon Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Dough flavor is my favorite and is usually available in November.
- Sweet Frog: Serve yourself fro yo! Need I say more?
Not Quite RVA
- Carl’s Ice Cream: (Fredericksburg, VA) Not the healthiest option ever as it’s old fashioned ice cream, but it’s amazing. I grew up going here on the weekends and will forever love the chocolate and strawberry combo in a cone.
- Sammy T’s: (Fredericksburg, VA) A great vegetarian friendly spot with awesome sweet potato fries.
Find Delicious Products Made Locally:
- Bombolini Pasta: delicious, fresh pasta that comes in a ton of different flavors from whole wheat, tomato basil to cinnamon and chocolate. They even have black bean and gluten-free pastas.
- Great Harvest Bread: Charlottesville, Va.
- Pizza Tonight: pizza kits with homemade dough and sauce, special seasonings and toppings. Made right here in Richmond.
- No Bull Burger: the best veggie burgers, locally made in Charlottesville, Va.
- Reginalds Homemade: a Richmond based company that makes peanut butter (and cashew butter)! The peanut butters are made with Virginia peanuts and other all-natural ingredients. Some of the flavors include: Coconut Sour Cheery, Nana Honey, Apple Sin and CashewNilla.
- Twin Oaks Tofu: best tofu ever! <– Check out the tour I took of the Twin Oaks Community.
Where to Work Out
- Ashtanga Yoga Richmond
- Bikram Yoga Richmond
- Glenmore Yoga
- Hot House Yoga
- Om On Yoga
- Project Yoga Richmond
- Yoga Source