Where to Shop for Healthy Foods:
Ellwood Thompson’s: a local, organic market in Carytown. They have a large refrigerated section with pre-made wraps/sandwiches which are vegan/vegetarian friendly, a large hot bar/salad bar with a plethora of options, a fresh juice bar, a large bulk bin section and a prepared foods counter.
Good Foods Grocery: an organic grocery store with a huge bulk bin selection. There are two locations in Richmond.
Relay Foods: an online farmers market and grocery store that delivers local produce, artisan goods and regular grocery items to convenient pickup locations or directly to your house. (Currently serves RVA, Charlottesville, DC, NOVA and Baltimore.)
Trader Joe’s: I like TJ’s for buying staples like almond milk, nuts, dried fruit, cereal, oats, yogurt, cheese, hummus and frozen fruits and veggies. I find their produce section to be a bit scant and overpriced but there are some items that are good buys like bagged greens and salad mixes and avocados, limes, lemons and onions. They also have ridiculously good deals on wine.
Whole Foods: Whole Foods is my favorite store! They carry almost any organic product you can think of as well as obscure health food items like chia seeds and wheat grass. I like to make a stop at Whole Foods in all the cities I visit because they’re all set-up differently and have a variety of products based on the region and location. I’m pretty sure this makes me a health food nerd.
Where to Eat Out:
** My absolute favorites are in bold.
- Balliceaux: This place has a modern, hip vibe and really good food. Great for date night or dancing with friends late night when they have live music in the back room.
- Fresca on Addison: My favorite vegetarian restaurant in Richmond. They serve the same types of meals I would make for myself at home, which I love. The sushi sandwich on their homemade whole wheat pita bread is to die for!
- Ginger Thai Taste: One of the three Thai restaurants in Carytown, this place is my favorite Thai restaurant in Richmond. They have awesome Tom-Yum soup, green papaya salad and fresh spring rolls.
- Ipanema Cafe: Vegetarian/Vegan restaurant with delicious dishes and amazing desserts. The menu changes pretty often and is written on a chalkboard when you walk in.
- Lamplighter Coffee: The best coffee shop in Richmond. Isaac and I love this place (we even took some of our engagement photos at the cafe)! They make delicious almond milk lattes.
- Lehja: I’ve never been to India, but this place has the best Indian food I’ve ever had. It’s authentic and so delicious.
- Mekong: The best beer bar ever! They have great Vietnamese food as well — I love the “build your own summer rolls” or the spicy green beans with veggies.
- Mezzanine: A farm-to-table restaurant we’ve been to several times for special occasions.
- Olio: A cute European market with great wraps, sandwiches, artisan cheeses, along with a great beer and wine selection. They also do catering and they catered our wedding.
- Selba: Here’s my review.
- Stella’s: A fabulous and authentic Greek restaurant.
- Sweet Frog: Serve yourself fro yo! Need I say more?
- The Daily Kitchen & Bar: A new restaurant in Carytown that strives to serve foods that are not only delicious but also health conscious, environmentally friendly and socially responsible. Here’s my review.
- The Roosevelt: Cute and quaint restaurant in Church Hill with great drinks. They don’t have a ton of vegetarian options but everything I’ve had has been really good.
- Yu-mi: Barista-style frozen treat that not only tastes good, but is filled with good ingredients that make you feel good while you eat it (and after). You can find it at various places around Richmond including Carytown Bicycle Company. Here’s my review.
Not Quite RVA
- Carl’s Ice Cream: (Fredericksburg, VA) Not the healthiest option ever as it’s old fashioned ice cream, but it’s amazing. I grew up going here on the weekends and will forever love the chocolate and strawberry combo in a cone.
- Sammy T’s: (Fredericksburg, VA) A great vegetarian friendly spot with awesome sweet potato fries.
Find Delicious Products Made Locally:
- Bombolini Pasta: delicious, fresh pasta that comes in a ton of different flavors from whole wheat, tomato basil to cinnamon and chocolate. They even have black bean and gluten-free pastas.
- Great Harvest Bread: Charlottesville, Va.
- Pizza Tonight: pizza kits with homemade dough and sauce, special seasonings and toppings. Made right here in Richmond.
- No Bull Burger: the best veggie burgers, locally made in Charlottesville, Va.
- Reginalds Homemade: a Richmond based company that makes peanut butter (and cashew butter)! The peanut butters are made with Virginia peanuts and other all-natural ingredients. Some of the flavors include: Apple Sin, Hazelnut Amaretto and Double Chocolate Chunk.
- Twin Oaks Tofu: best tofu ever! <– Check out the tour I took of the Twin Oaks Community.
Where to Work Out
- Ashtanga Yoga Richmond (Carytown)
- Bikram Yoga Richmond
- Glenmore Yoga
- Hot House Yoga
- Om On Yoga
- Project Yoga Richmond
- Yoga Source (Carytown)