No Mayo Sweet Potato Tuna Salad
With this sweet potato tuna salad recipe the sweet potatoes, hummus and mustard make the tuna salad so creamy you don't need any mayo. Loaded with protein, gluten-free and dairy-free.
- 1 5-6 oz can unsalted tuna, packed in water
- 1/2 cup baked sweet potato cooled and chopped into chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 finely chopped scallion green part only
- 2-3 Tablespoons hummus I used garlic
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
Bake sweet potato – Make sure you bake your sweet potato first (or ahead of time) so it's cool enough to handle and chop into chunks.
Drain tuna – Drain tuna and place in a small bowl. Use a fork to break the chunks into small pieces.
Mix remaining ingredients – Add sweet potato chunks, tomatoes, celery and scallion and mix together. Add the hummus and mustard, to moisten the tuna to your preference. I used about 2.5 Tablespoons of hummus.
Season – Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
Serve – I enjoyed the tuna salad on top of a salad with romaine lettuce, cucumbers and mushrooms but you could easily place it between two slices of whole grain bread (like Ezekiel bread) to make a healthy tuna sandwich.
- Bake your sweet potato in advance: Don't forget to bake your sweet potato ahead of time so it's cool enough to handle and chop for the salad.
Serving: 1/2 of recipe | Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 455mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g