Sweet Potato Bites
These baked sweet potato bites are topped with ricotta cheese, pecans, pomegranate, honey and fresh thyme. They're the perfect blend of sweet and savory and are a quick and easy appetizer that everyone will love!
- 2 sweet potatoes look for ones that are long and narrow
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup pomegranate
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme plus more for topping
- freshly ground pepper
- honey for drizzling
- avocado oil cooking spray
Cut sweet potatoes into ¼-inch thick rounds. Spray rounds with cooking spray, sprinkle on a little sea salt and bake at 375°F for 35 minutes, flipping once around the 15 minute mark.
While the sweet potatoes are roasting, add the pecans to a small baking sheet and place in the heated oven for about 5-10 minutes to toast. You can toast pecan halves and chop after or toast chopped pecans. If your pecans are already chopped it will take less time for them to toast. This step is optional, but recommended.
Meanwhile, add ricotta into a food processor with 1 Tablespoon of fresh thyme and salt. Process until blended.
Let sweet potatoes cool for a few minutes, until they aren’t too hot to handle. Top each one with a spread of whipped ricotta, chopped pecans and pomegranate. Sprinkle on fresh thyme, drizzle honey, add fresh ground pepper and serve.
- Ricotta cheese: Use vegan ricotta if needed.
- Pecans: If you don't have pecans or aren't a fan feel free to swap them with another nut like walnuts or almonds. For a nut-free option, pepitas would be delicious!
- Pomegranate: Dried cranberries would be a good substitute. Just look for ones that are low-sugar or sweetened with just fruit juice.
- Honey: I prefer the flavor of honey for this recipe, but I'm sure it would still be delicious with a drizzle of maple syrup or agave if you need a vegan option.
- Fresh thyme: If you don't have fresh thyme, dried thyme will work. Just whip 1 teaspoon of dried thyme with the ricotta cheese and sprinkle some more on top.
Serving: 3sweet potato bites | Calories: 86kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 34mg | Potassium: 125mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g