Lentil and Kale Stew
This healthy lentil stew is loaded with kale and uses fresh salsa for a boost of flavor. Added bonus: it's budget-friendly and cooks up in 45 minutes!
- 1 Tablespoon olive avocado or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 8 oz package white button mushrooms sliced
- 1 16 oz bag of green lentils
- 2 16 oz containers salsa I used roasted garlic and restaurant style
- 32 oz 1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bunch of kale chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- pinch of cinnamon
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- for garnish: fresh grated parmesan avocado, fresh basil
Heat oil over medium heat in a large sauce pan. Add in onion, garlic and mushrooms and sauté until fragrant and soft. About 6 minutes or so.
Add in vegetable broth, lentils, salsa, turmeric, basil, cayenne pepper and cinnamon. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Add in chopped kale and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until kale has wilted. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
Spoon stew into bowls for serving. Top with avocado, fresh basil and fresh parmesan (or all three).
Serving: 1bowl with avocado | Calories: 422kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 7g | Fiber: 29g | Sugar: 9g