Made with mashed figs and bananas, honey, Greek yogurt and whole wheat pastry flour this healthy fig bread is perfectly moist, naturally sweetened, oil-free and such a great recipe to make during fig season!
Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
Use a fork to mash bananas and figs. Combine the two in a mixing bowl.
Mix in eggs, yogurt, honey, coconut sugar and vanilla.
In another bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix.
Pour the batter into a parchment lined 8.5 inch loaf pan. Add a few thin slices of figs on top of the batter to create a pretty topping for the loaf.
Bake loaf for about 55-65 mins, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle of the bread. I recommend covering the loaf with foil around the 45 minute mark to make sure the bread doesn’t get too brown on top. Also note that baking times may vary, so keep an eye on the bread.
Allow loaf to cool for 15 minutes in the loaf pan before removing. Allow loaf to cool completely on a wire rack (about 15 additional minutes) before serving.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for 3-5 days at room temperature. For longer storage, you can store in the fridge for 5-7 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
- Applesauce: If you're not a fan of bananas, applesauce would probably be a good substitute.
- Eggs: I haven't tried using a flaxseed egg but that should work as a replacement.
- Greek yogurt: If you need this recipe to be dairy-free I bet using a dairy-free yogurt would work just fine.
- Whole wheat pastry flour: If you can’t find whole wheat pastry flour you can also use white whole wheat flour, a blend of all-purpose and regular whole wheat flour or just regular all-purpose flour.
- Honey: I haven't another liquid sweetener in place of the honey, but I bet you could use maple syrup or agave if preferred.
- Coconut sugar: If you don't have coconut sugar on hand, brown sugar will work as well.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 229mg | Potassium: 229mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 23g