This tempeh bolognese is made with crumbled tempeh and veggies. It's packed with plant-based protein and a great vegetarian option to serve over pasta!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 8-oz package of tempeh, crumbled
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh basil thinly sliced, for serving
- vegan parmesan for serving
- cooked spaghetti squash or pasta for serving
In a large pot or skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion and sauté until fragrant, stirring frequently so they don’t burn. Add in bell pepper and crumbled tempeh and sauté for about 5 minutes longer. Reduce heat to medium-low and add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, oregano, pepper and salt to the pan. Stir until everything is combined and let mixture simmer for 5-6 minutes or until heated through. Turn heat to low so the tempeh mixture stays warm until your pasta or spaghetti squash has finished cooking.
Place pasta on plate, top with tempeh bolognese mixture, sprinkle on fresh sliced basil and parmesan, if using and serve.
Serving: 1/2 of recipe | Calories: 483kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 541mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 16g