Mexican Sweet Potato Chicken Soup
This hearty Mexican sweet potato chicken soup is loaded with veggies, lean protein and has a smoky, sweet flavor from dried guajillo Mexican peppers. Grain/gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo and whole30 friendly.
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breast chopped into bite-size cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt divided into 1 teaspoon and ½ teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 dried guajillo Mexican peppers stems and seeds removed
- ½ yellow onion roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 32 oz carton vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and chopped into bite-size chunks
- ½ small head cauliflower broken into bite-size florets
- 1-2 cups baby spinach
- for topping: avocado radishes, cilantro, lime
Season chicken with oregano, 1 teaspoon sea salt and black pepper. Set aside.
Add dried guajillo peppers into a saucepan and cover with water (at least 1 cup). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the peppers have softened.
Add peppers and ¾ cup water from saucepan into a high-powered blender. Add onion, garlic, cumin, cloves and ½ teaspoon salt; blend until smooth.
Add oil to a large saucepan on medium heat. Add chile pepper purée into the pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add broth, seasoned chicken cubes, sweet potato and cauliflower into the saucepan. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through and sweet potatoes are fully cooked, this should take about 10-15 minutes. Stir in baby spinach until wilted and season with additional salt, if needed.
Portion soup into bowls and top with avocado, sliced radishes and cilantro. Serve with a lime wedge for squeezing over the top.
Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 131mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g