Orange Chipotle Chicken
This orange chipotle chicken is packed with flavor from the orange-chipotle glaze and makes for a healthy meal served with green beans and quinoa.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt divided
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 organic thin boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb), rinsed and patted dry, cut into small bite-size chunks
- Fresh juice from 1 medium orange about 1/3 cup of juice (I used a blood orange)
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ lb fresh or frozen green beans stem ends trimmed if using fresh
- 2 cups cooked quinoa for serving
Cook quinoa according to package directions if you haven’t done so already. 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa will yield about 2 cups cooked.
In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, 1/4 tsp salt and cayenne pepper. Pour seasoning over chicken and combine well so that all pieces are seasoned.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet set on medium-high heat. Place chicken in skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the beans and stir-fry with chicken for another 4 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center. Make sure you toss the chicken while cooking so that the pieces cook evenly and don’t clump together. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add orange juice and maple syrup to the skillet you just used (no need to rinse) and cook liquid for 1 minute to thicken slightly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in chipotle chiles in adobo sauce and orange zest. Add chicken and green beans back to skillet, return to heat and cook (stirring constantly) for 1 minute on medium-high or until chicken and green beans are heated to your liking.
In a medium bowl, combine cooked quinoa and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Serve chicken and green beans over quinoa. Use the excess glaze as a topping.
- Adapted from Clean Eating Magazine
- If you're vegetarian, I'm sure tofu or tempeh would work well in this dish instead of chicken.
Serving: 1/4 of recipe | Calories: 297kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 5g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g