Shrimp Spring Rolls
These fresh shrimp spring rolls are filled with crisp vegetables, herbs, rice noodles and shrimp and served with a flavorful peanut dipping sauce. They're perfect for an appetizer or light meal!
- 12– 15 rice paper wrappers
- 1 head romaine lettuce leaves separated and largest leaves cut in 1/2*
- Cooked vermicelli noodles I used about 4oz uncooked
- 1 lb cooked shrimp shells and tails removed (full or sliced in half)
- ½ cucumber chopped into matchsticks
- 1 large carrot chopped into matchsticks
- 1 avocado sliced (optional)
- fresh basil or mint
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1-2 Tablespoons regular or light coconut milk
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger chopped
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium tamari soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-2 teaspoons sambal oelek
Cook vermicelli noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
Make dipping sauce by adding ingredients to a blender and blending until combined, starting with just 1 Tablespoon of coconut milk, adding more as needed to reach desired consistency.
Add water to a saucepan and warm it on the stove top. Don’t let it boil, you just want warm water. Once it’s warm pour water into a bowl or plate that is large enough to fit the rice paper wrappers in. A pie pan works perfectly! Dip rice paper wrappers in warm water until it softens slightly, about 15-20 seconds. Don’t let papers sit in water too long otherwise they’ll become too soft and floppy and tear as you roll.
Place wrapper on a hard surface, like a plate. Put lettuce leaf on far left edge of wrapper. Place a little of each ingredient into the wrap – about 3-4 pieces of shrimp, carrots, cucumbers and noodles into the lettuce leaf. Top with 1 slice of avocado (if using) and fresh herbs.
Roll wrapper from left to right, folding in the top and the bottom sides of wrapper toward the middle (like an envelope) about halfway through wrapping.
Complete steps 1 to 4 for each wrapper. Serve with the peanut sauce.
Serving: 1 roll w/ sauce | Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 777mg | Potassium: 455mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g