Healthy Vanilla Cake
This healthy vanilla cake is made with whole wheat flour, yogurt and maple syrup. It's more nutrient-dense and lower in sugar when compared to traditional cake, but still just as delicious!
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray three 6-inch pans with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, Greek yogurt, oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
Pour the dry into the wet and stir until mixture is just combined. Don’t over-mix!
Divide the mixture evenly into prepared baking pans
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean.
Let cool for about 10 minutes, then remove so they don’t continue to cook and let cool completely on a wire rack. One cool, frost and decorate as desired.
- Flour: If you don't have whole wheat pastry flour on hand, you can use all-purpose flour or a combination of half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour.
- Greek Yogurt: If you don't have Greek yogurt on hand or prefer a different type of yogurt feel free to use your favorite variety of yogurt. I would just avoid using a flavored yogurt as those usually have a lot of added sugars and can change the flavor of this cake.
- Oil: If you don't have avocado oil on hand, olive oil or melted coconut oil or butter will all work as substitutes.
- Maple syrup: Honey or agave syrup can be used as a substitute for maple syrup if you prefer a different kind of natural sweetener. I haven't tested this cake with a dry sugar like coconut sugar so I'm not sure how it would turn out.
- Gluten-free: If you're looking for a gluten-free vanilla cake try making my healthy birthday cake, which is made with a combination of oat flour and almond flour.
- Dairy-free: If you need this cake to be dairy-free use a dairy-free yogurt instead of Greek yogurt.
Serving: 1 slice with vanilla buttercream | Calories: 398kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 291mg | Potassium: 146mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 36g