A lightened up recipe for zucchini bread that uses maple syrup instead of sugar and olive oil instead of butter. The texture is crisp on the outside and perfectly moist on the inside.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, finely grated
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)*
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9″x5″ loaf pan or line with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, stir flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add maple syrup and zucchini, stir until well blended. Stir in oil, applesauce and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir together until just blended (don’t over mix). Gently stir in chopped walnuts or whatever mix-ins you’re using.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove loaf from pans and let cool on a wire rack before slicing.
- Chocolate chips are an awesome addition to this bread if you want a little chocolate. Add 1/3 cup to the recipe or use 1/2 cup chocolate chips in place of the walnuts.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 158
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 142mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
Keywords: healthy zucchini bread