Vegan Split Pea Soup
This vegan split pea soup is made with tender split peas and fresh vegetables and is the perfect cozy recipe for chilly days. It's healthy, hearty, packed with flavor and comes together quickly!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon black pepper plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 lb bag dry split peas rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth plus more as desired to thin
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Cracked pepper parmesan, chopped fresh parsley, for topping
Add olive oil to a large dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally until everything begins to soften, about 5-7 minutes.
Add bay leaves, pepper, salt, thyme, oregano, paprika and split peas. Cook another minute, stirring constantly.
Add vegetable broth to the pot. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until peas are very soft, about 60 minutes.
Once pea have softened stir in tamari and lemon juice.
To serve, ladle into bowls and top with parmesan cheese, cracked pepper and fresh parsley (if using).
Serving: 1/4 recipe | Calories: 525kcal | Carbohydrates: 86g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 659mg | Potassium: 1350mg | Fiber: 32g | Sugar: 16g