This green shakshuka is packed with fresh veggies and power greens like baby spinach and kale and has poached eggs nestled in. It comes together quickly in just one pan and can be served any time of the day!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium zucchini finely diced
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 4 cups curly kale
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 4-5 eggs
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped, for serving
- ½ cup feta cheese for serving
- Avocado for serving
- Green onion for serving
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion to the skillet and cook until onions are soft and fragrant – about 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and zucchini and sauté for 2-3 more minutes.
Add cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Give the mixture a stir and cook for about 1 minute more.
Add spinach and kale a few cups at a time, until they begin to wilt. Add lemon juice and stir to combine.
Reduce heat to low and create 4-5 wells in the greens mixture, then crack the eggs into each well. Cover and let the eggs cook for about 5 minutes, or until the egg whites are completely cooked through. Remove skillet from heat, uncover and sprinkle feta and cilantro on top and let sit for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Spoon 1-2 eggs along with a big serving of greens onto each plate. Garnish with extra feta cheese, fresh cilantro, green onion and avocado. Serve with toast, veggies or over a whole grain like quinoa or brown rice for a complete meal.
- Vegetables – The fun thing about shakshuka is that you can customize it! Don’t love zucchini? Swap it with another veggie of choice like brussels sprouts. Want to use different greens, go for it!
- Need it to be dairy-free? The feta adds a lovely creaminess to the dish, but if you’re dairy-free or paleo, you can easily leave the cheese out.
Serving: 1/3 of recipe | Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 332mg | Sodium: 839mg | Potassium: 999mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 6g