Healthy Hot Chocolate
An upgraded version of a cold weather classic, this healthy hot chocolate is low in sugar, dairy-free and vegan. Made with oat milk, pure maple syrup and cocoa powder it's creamy, chocolatey, absolutely delicious and comes together in just 10 minutes.
- 1 cup oat milk or non-dairy milk of choice
- 3 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1 Tablespoon chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- 1-2 teaspoons pure maple syrup plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Toppings: Coconut whip cream vegan marshmallows, chocolate shavings, chocolate chips or a dusting of cocoa powder.
In a small saucepan, combine milk, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, maple syrup, vanilla and salt.
Heat on low medium heat until just simmering and chocolate is melted and the clumps of cocoa are gone, about 5-7 minutes. Don’t let your hot chocolate boil or you could burn the chocolate.
Pour into a mug, top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Serving: 1 | Calories: 173kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 249mg | Potassium: 464mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g