Vegan Mac and Cheese
The best vegan mac and cheese made with cashews, potatoes and nutritional yeast! It’s easy to make, creamy, cheesy and so delicious. This comfort food classic turned plant-based is guaranteed to be a new family favorite.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni cooked (or any pasta of choice)
- 2 medium yellow potatoes peeled and cubed (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (about ½ cup)
- 1 small yellow onion quartered
- 2 large cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk of your choice I used almond milk
- ¾ cup raw cashews soaked for 2-4 hours or overnight
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ¼ teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder optional
- ½ cup reserved pasta water
If you haven’t already soak your cashews for 2-4 hours. If you have a high powered blender like a Vitamix you can get away with soaking for only 30 minutes-1 hour.
Fill a large pot with about 1 inch of water. Add potatoes, carrots and onion to a steamer basket or metal colander and steam for about 15 minutes or until soft.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water before draining. Drain and transfer the pasta back to the pot.
Place all the vegan cheese ingredients in a blender (including the cooked potatoes, carrots and onions) and blend until smooth.
Pour the vegan cheese over cooked pasta, adding up to 1/2 cup pasta water to loosen the sauce, as necessary. Stir to fully combine.
Season to taste and serve.
Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat it, add a little bit of milk or water to thin out the sauce. When reheating, stir often to avoid burning.
Serving: 1/8 of recipe | Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 320mg | Potassium: 120mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g