Summer Vegetable Curry
This summer vegetable curry is loaded with seasonal veggies and super easy to whip up for a vegetarian weeknight meal. Perfect for Meatless Monday!
- 1 Tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 1 red onion chopped into large chunks
- 1 Tablespoon peeled and finely chopped ginger
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or bone broth*
- 3 cups chopped eggplant about 1/2 of a medium eggplant
- 1 medium zucchini or summer squash cut into 1/4-inch chunks or slices
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms quartered
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper seeded and chopped into chunks
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch optional*
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or cilantro
- 2-3 cups rice white jasmine rice, brown rice or cauliflower rice
- Sriracha for serving
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, ginger, and garlic; cook, stirring, 3-4 minutes or until fragrant and soft. Stir in the curry powder and cook 1 additional minute.
Whisk together the vegetable broth and arrowroot powder, if using. Add vegetable broth mixture, coconut milk, vegetables (eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms and bell pepper) into the skillet, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the lime zest and lime juice just before serving. Taste and add more salt, if necessary.
Spoon rice onto serving plates and top with vegetable curry. Garnish each bowl with fresh basil or cilantro and serve with sriracha, to taste.
- If you're not worried about this dish being vegetarian, you can use bone broth for more nutrition.
- I like adding arrowroot powder to this curry to help thicken the sauce, but it's not necessary. If you omit it, the broth won't thicken as much but it will still be delicious!
Serving: 1/4 of recipe with jasmine rice | Calories: 396kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Sodium: 369mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g