Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa Casserole
A vegetarian Mexican quinoa casserole made entirely in the slow cooker. Packed with sweet potatoes, black beans and taco seasoning, this is sure to be a family favorite! Vegetarian and gluten-free.
- 1 cup water or veggie broth
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 3 cups diced sweet potato about 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups prepared salsa mild, medium or hot
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- ½ small yellow onion chopped
- ¼ cup sliced green onion + more for topping
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 Tablespoons taco or fajita seasoning
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese divided
- Toppings: Greek yogurt or cashew sour cream avocado, green onion, cilantro
- Tortilla chips for serving (optional)
Add water, quinoa, chopped sweet potato, black beans, salsa, bell pepper, yellow onion, green onion, cilantro and taco seasoning in your slow cooker. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours, or until the liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked.
Remove the lid and stir. Taste and adjust seasoning by adding salt and pepper, if necessary. Stir in 1 cup of cheese and sprinkle 1 cup on top. Put the lid back on and cook until the cheese melts, about 10-15 minutes. Serve warm with desired toppings and tortilla chips if using.
- This quinoa dish can get a little mushy if you let it cook for too long. I don't mind this at all and honestly think it makes a great dip for tortilla chips this way, but if you want more texture with the sweet potatoes and quinoa, just be sure not to overcook.
- Make this dish in the oven by following this recipe: Sweet Potato Quinoa Fiesta Bake.
- This recipe can is part of my vegetarian freezer meal prep series. <-- Check out the post to learn how to prep and freeze it in advance.
Serving: 1/6 of recipe | Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 10g | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g