Banana Bread Oatmeal with Caramelized Bananas
Gluten-free, vegan banana bread oatmeal that tastes like the real deal and is super simple to whip up. Add some caramelized bananas and toasted walnuts on top for a gourmet breakfast!
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 banana sliced (divided)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup plus more for serving
Add oats, cinnamon, vanilla, sea salt and half of the banana slices to a medium pot. Add water and stir to combine.
Heat over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes. Be sure to stir the oats several times while cooking to make sure the banana slices melt into the oats and the oats don't stick to the pot.
You’ll know the oatmeal is done when all the liquid is absorbed and the oats are thick and fluffy.
While oats are cooking, heat a skillet over medium and add coconut oil and maple syrup. Add remaining banana slices and walnuts to the skillet.
Cook banana slices 2 minutes on each side or until they start to get a golden crust. Heat walnuts until just toasted. Remove from heat.
Place cooked oats into a bowl and top with caramelized bananas and walnuts. For sweeter oats, drizzle with extra maple syrup.
- I like to amp up the protein content by adding ½ to 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder to the oats while cooking.
- For less sugar, leave out the maple syrup or use a natural calorie-free option like stevia.
Serving: 1 | Calories: 435kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 18g | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 25g