Protein Pumpkin Oatmeal
This protein pumpkin oatmeal with egg whites is loaded with pumpkin flavor and protein. The secret is whipping egg whites into the oats while they cook!
Servings: 1 bowl
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup water
- ½ ripe banana sliced
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin or homemade pumpkin puree canned or fresh
- ¼ cup liquid egg whites or 2 egg whites from whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of sea salt
- sprinkle of extra cinnamon
- toppings: almond butter granola and pecans
In saucepan over high heat, combine the almond milk, water, banana slices, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, salt and cinnamon. Bring to a boil.
Once boiling, add the oatmeal. Turn the heat down and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed (about 5-6 minutes).
Add vanilla and egg whites into the oats and stir/whisk constantly. Stirring will keep the egg whites from cooking so that they turn into a thick, fluffy consistency instead. This should take 1-2 minutes.
Once all the liquid is absorbed and the oatmeal is cooked through, place in a bowl and add your favorite toppings. I used almond butter, granola and pecans, but feel free to use a variety of nuts, nut butter or sweeteners. Enjoy!
Serving: 1bowl without toppings | Calories: 286kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 310mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 11g