Kale Detox Salad
This kale detox salad is loaded with crunchy raw vegetables, marinated mushrooms and roasted Brussels sprouts tossed in an easy balsamic dressing.
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale de-stemmed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 4 ounces baby mixed greens spinach or 4 additional ounces of kale
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into thin ribbons with a vegetable peeler or spiralized
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 4 small or 2 large portobello caps, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped or sliced
- 1 bunch Brussels sprouts ends trimmed and quartered
- 2-3 teaspoons olive or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
Marinate the mushrooms: simply whisk together all ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and place mushrooms into the bowl to marinate. Stir occasionally (or shake if you're using a sealable container) to make sure all the pieces are getting coated in the dressing. The mushrooms should marinate anywhere from 1 hour to overnight.
Roast the sprouts: Preheat oven to 375°. Toss chopped brussels sprouts in 2-3 teaspoons of oil and sprinkle on a little salt and pepper. Add to a baking sheet and roast for 40-45 minutes (tossing occasionally) or until brussels sprouts are tender and brown.
After marinating the mushrooms, add the mushrooms and remaining dressing into a large bowl with all the rest of the salad ingredients.
Mix everything together. A large tupperware container works great for this because you can put the lid on it and shake all the ingredients to mix them up, but if you don't have one, stirring everything together in a big salad bowl with a spoon will work.
You can let the salad marinate a bit more before serving (this will help to soften the kale a bit) or you can serve immediately. To serve, place salad portion on a plate or bowl and top with an extra slice of avocado and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. You should be able to get at least 2-3 large salads out of it.
Calories: 484kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 464mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 21g