6-Ingredient Healthy Mashed Cauliflower
Swap potatoes for cauliflower to create this 6-ingredient healthy mashed cauliflower side dish that tastes just like creamy mashed potatoes but with half the calories and one-third of the carbs!
- 1 medium-large head of cauliflower about 10 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ghee or butter
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Tablespoon ghee or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chives chopped + more for topping
Break cauliflower into florets and place in a large pot. Add enough water to cover the cauliflower and heat until water is boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 12 minutes.
While cauliflower is cooking, heat a small pan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon ghee, minced garlic and a pinch of sea salt. Sauté until garlic is tender and fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
Drain cauliflower and carefully place in a large food processor with sautéd garlic, 1/2 Tablespoon ghee, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and chives. Process until cauliflower is smooth. Transfer to a bowl, top with chives and serve.
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can mash the cauliflower using a stand mixer, blender or a handheld potato masher — the consistency just won’t be as smooth. If needed, you can reheat the mashed cauliflower in a small saucepan before serving.
- To make this dish vegan swap the ghee for butter flavored coconut oil and use this hemp parmesan.
Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g