Tempeh Butternut Squash Bake
This tempeh butternut squash bake is a breeze to whip up. Just throw everything in one pan and bake! It's absolutely delicious, vegan, gluten-free and loaded with 24 grams of plant-based protein per serving!
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Cook Time55 minutes mins
Total Time1 hour hr 10 minutes mins
Keyword: tempeh butternut squash
- 3 Tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil in a liquid state
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ Tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 8oz package tempeh cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 medium butternut squash about 4 cups, peeled, deseeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ medium onion chopped
- ¾ cup chopped fresh cremini, portobello or white mushrooms
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- chili sauce or Sriracha for serving (optional)
- rice, quinoa or greens for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Whisk tamari, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, ginger and garlic in a small bowl.
Use hands to gently toss tempeh, butternut squash, onion, and mushrooms in a square baking dish or a baking sheet.
Pour tamari mixture over the tempeh, squash, onion and mushrooms and toss to coat. Sprinkle on sea salt, ground pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste.
Cover baking dish/sheet with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. Pull baking dish out, remove and discard the aluminum foil, stir and place back in the oven for another 20 minutes or until butternut squash is cooked to your liking. If you're like me and enjoy your tempeh a little crispy, you can turn your oven on the broil for the last 5 minutes.
Remove from baking dish and serve over quinoa, brown rice or greens.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. To reheat, pop it back in the oven or microwave for a few minutes.
- Butternut squash: If you can't find butternut squash, sweet potatoes or another winter squash would work as a substitute.
Serving: 1/3 of recipe | Calories: 363kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 724mg | Potassium: 1780mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 5g