Summer Berry Salad with Maple Walnuts
A patriotic berry salad with fresh berries, crunchy maple walnuts and blue cheese. The red white and blue theme makes it perfect for Memorial Day or the 4th of July.
- 10 oz baby greens I used OrganicGirl Supergreens!
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh strawberries quartered
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese feta or goat cheese
- 1/3 cup raw walnuts
- 1-2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- generous shake of sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar or brown sugar or maple syrup
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
Toast walnuts: This is optional, but if you want to toast your walnuts simply spread out your walnuts on a baking sheet and toss with maple syrup, cinnamon and sea salt. Roast for 7-9 minutes in a 350°F oven. Remove from oven and allow walnuts to cool.
Make dressing: While walnuts are roasting, make the dressing by whisking together vinegar, mustard, sugar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Prep salad: Add greens to a large bowl and top with berries, cheese and maple walnuts.
Serve: Add dressing and toss just before serving or leave dressing on the side and allow everyone to dress their own salad.
To make this dairy-free and vegan, simply skip the blue cheese (or use a vegan option).
Dressing – craving a different dressing? This creamy poppyseed dressing or balsamic dressing are also delicious on this salad!
Serving: 1/8th of recipe | Calories: 171kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 14g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g