Zucchini Pizza Bites
Satisfy your pizza craving with these healthy zucchini pizza bites. They're coated in an almond flour mixture, baked and then broiled with the sauce, cheese and toppings.
Servings: 12 bites
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 egg whisked
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅓ cup pizza sauce scant ½ Tablespoon each
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Italian Chomps meat sticks thinly sliced
Slice each zucchini in 1/4 inch thick rounds, trying to keep them all around the same size.
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and grab two shallow bowls. Whisk the egg in one bowl and mix together almond flour, garlic powder, salt and Italian seasoning in the other.
Dip each zucchini slice into the egg wash and shake off any excess before sprinkling the almond flour mixture on each side of the zucchini. Don't dredge the zucchini in the almond flour mixture or it will start clumping.
Place coated zucchini pieces onto prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining zucchini slices until done.
Bake at 400°F for 30-40 minutes, flipping half way through. Remove from oven.
Turn oven to broil and add pizza sauce, cheese and mini pepperonis to each pizza bite.
Broil for 4-5 minutes total or until cheese is bubbling and turning golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
Sprinkle on crushed red pepper and Italian seasoning for serving, if desired.
- Dairy-free – skip the cheese or use a dairy-free cheese instead! There are some great vegan mozzarella brands on the market now.
- Nut-free – if you're allergic to nuts, you can use breadcrumbs instead.
- Vegetarian – ditch the meat and add extra veggies or try tempeh sausage.
- Vegan – I haven't tried this, but according to a quick search, flaxseed eggs work as an egg wash before breading! Try a flaxseed egg in place of a traditional egg and skip the cheese to make these bites vegan.
- Swap the sauce – in the mood for a different sauce? Go wild! These would be delicious with traditional pesto or sun-dried tomato pesto!
- Add veggies – feel free to add extra veggies on these little bites! I love them with sautéed peppers, onions and mushrooms. Just chop the veggies into small pieces.
- Try different meat – Any type of protein works on these bites! Feel free to swap out for your favorite.
Serving: 4bites | Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 704mg | Potassium: 216mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g