Quinoa Fried "Rice"
This quinoa fried rice is a healthy take on traditional fried rice made with protein-packed quinoa. It's packed with veggies and takes less and 30 minutes to whip up. It's the perfect weeknight meal.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger minced or grated
- 3 large eggs whisked
- 1 16 oz bag frozen veggies (a blend of peas, carrots, green beans and corn)
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium tamari soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 Tablespoons mirin optional
- ½–1 Tablespoon sambal oelek or chili garlic sauce
- sliced green onion for garnish
- sriracha for topping (optional)
Prepare quinoa if you haven’t already: Bring 2 cups water and 1 cup uncooked quinoa to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until water has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Remove saucepan from heat and let cool for 5 minutes; fluff quinoa with a fork. Refrigerate until cool. This step can be done the day before.
Add sesame oil into a large skillet. Saute onion, garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
Add the frozen veggies and cook until heated through. Add in cooked quinoa then add in tamari, mirin (if using) and sambal oelek. Use however much sambal oelek you’d like depending on how spicy you’d like the dish to be. Cook and stir until evenly coated, about 2 minutes.
Make a well in the center of the quinoa mixture. Pour eggs into the well; cook and stir until eggs are scrambled and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
Divide the dish between 4 plates and garnish with green onion and drizzle on a little sriracha, if using. Enjoy.
- Mirin: Rice wine vinegar would be a good substitute if you don't have mirin.
- Frozen veggies: Feel free to use fresh veggies if you prefer!
- Add protein: If you'd like to add more protein, I recommend adding shrimp or chicken! Just add 1 cup cooked shrimp and/or cooked shredded chicken when you add the quinoa in step 3!
Serving: 1/4 of recipe | Calories: 312kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 140mg | Sodium: 485mg | Potassium: 334mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g