Vegan Apple Pie Filling
This healthy apple pie filling is vegan, naturally sweetened with dates and perfectly spiced with ground cinnamon and nutmeg.
Servings: 3 1/2 cups
- 3 medium apples (I used Honey Crisp + Granny Smith), cored and chopped into small chunks*
- 1 cup mejdool dates pitted
- 3/4-1 cup water plus additional water for soaking the dates
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Soak dates: Soak the dates by placing in a small bowl with just enough water to cover them. Allow them to sit for about 10-15 minutes.
Prepare apples: while the dates are soaking core and chop the apples into tiny chunks, about 1/4 inch thick. Place in a bowl and set aside.
Make date puree: When the dates are finished soaking, drain and discard the water. Add the dates, fresh water (start with 3/4 cup), cinnamon, salt and nutmeg into a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
Add more water to thin the date puree if needed. The consistency should be thick but pourable like syrup.
Pour the date puree over the bowl of apples and stir to combine. At this point your apple pie filling is ready to enjoy! See ideas for how to use it above.
For storing: keep apple pie filling in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 days.
- If you want a smoother pie filling, you should peel the apples. I don't mind the texture of apple skin so I didn't take the time to peel mine.
Serving: 1/2 cup | Calories: 112kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 171mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g