Black Bean Pumpkin Burgers
These black bean pumpkin burgers are made with quinoa, black beans, pureed pumpkin and pepitas. They're loaded with plant-based protein and full of flavor. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup canned pumpkin or homemade pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup pepitas shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (olive or avocado oil also work)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ground pepper to taste
- 6 whole grain burger buns
- Toppings of choice: sliced or mashed avocado, lettuce, tomato, red onion and/or sprouts
Add black beans, quinoa, pepitas and garlic into a food processor and pulse a couple times. The beans should be broken up but there should still be some small chunks. Don’t over process, as you want your bean burgers to be a little chunky.
Transfer the bean mixture into a large bowl and stir in all remaining ingredients.
Form into six patties. I used a 1 cup measuring cup to “cut” the burgers into a perfectly round shape. You can use a peanut butter jar lid or a large cookie cutter for this too. Or just use your hands if you’re not too concerned with the shape.
Heat a skillet on medium, spray non-stick spray and add the patties, cook each side until browned, about 6-7 minutes total.
Serve the burgers on a bun and top with condiments of your choice. You can also serve these burgers over a bed of greens.
- Curry version: Make a curried pumpkin burger by adding 1 Tablespoon of yellow curry powder to the recipe.
- To bake: If baking, place the burgers on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 375°F for about 25 minutes, flipping once.
- To grill: I would put them on the top rack and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
Serving: 1burger without bun or toppings | Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 306mg | Potassium: 149mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g