Vegan Broccoli Salad
Vegan broccoli salad with a rich and creamy cashew dressing instead of mayo. This salad is crunchy, sweet and absolutely delicious, perfect for summer parties.
- 6 cups broccoli two small to medium sized crowns, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds roasted and salted
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked at least 1- 2 hours
- 1/3 cup fresh water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon shallot chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
Soak cashews: place cashews in a bowl, cover with water and let sit for 1-2 hours or until soft. Drain water.
Make dressing: mix soaked cashews, fresh water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, shallot, garlic, salt and dijon mustard in a high powered blender or processor until completely smooth.
Mix ingredients: combine broccoli, sunflower seeds, red onion, raisins and dressing. Toss until all ingredients are covered. Serve: Serve immediately or let chill in the fridge a bit before serving.
- Raw broccoli – Make sure you’re using fresh, raw broccoli. Frozen or cooked broccoli won’t work for this recipe! If you’re looking for a salad with cooked broccoli try this: roasted broccoli quinoa salad.
- Red onion – Not a fan of red onion feel free to use yellow onion or sweet vidalia onion instead.
- Raisins – The raisins are what takes this salad to the next level, in my opinion. If you’re not a raisin fan you could swap in chopped medjool dates, dried cherries, prunes or another dried fruit.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 21g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 14g