Black Eyed Peas with Tomatoes and Greens
This black eyed pea dish is perfect for New Year’s Day, however it can be made anytime. It’s super easy to throw together and tastes awesome! The tempeh bacon has a nice smoky flavor similar to that of real bacon!
- 1½ Tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 batch of tempeh bacon or a package of tempeh bacon, chopped into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 1 large bunch Lacinato kale de-stemmed and chopped
- 2 15 oz can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 oz can stewed or roasted tomatoes
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- crumbled feta cheese for topping (optional)
- cooked quinoa rice or cornbread for serving
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions, garlic until onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add in cooked tempeh bacon pieces and toss to combine.
Add in greens and simmer until just wilted and soft. Add in black eyed peas and stewed tomatoes and bring to a simmer, for about 10-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Serve warm on top of cooked quinoa, rice or alongside cornbread to go along with it. Sprinkle on feta, if using.
Serving: 1/4 recipe | Calories: 363kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 1285mg | Potassium: 663mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g